Lets have a vote.

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Midnight_Madman, Jun 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

What to do about aptasia

1. Leave all liverock in tank and treat

61.0%
  2. Pull all liverock out and nuke

39.0%
  1. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

I hear ya, guess it depends on how much time and energy you can afford to spend on the issue.
    He just spent good money to get the benefits of already cured and active live rock, I was just looking for a way of not killing everything he paid for before exhausting other methods like the ones in Blackraven's post below...

2. Click Here!

3. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I just had to nuke about 35lbs of 4yr old LR as well. It hurt, but knowing that I was saving my tank from a lot of aptasia and majano anemones.

I would do it all at once. Aptasia can easily spread to the recently bleached rock. All at once is your best bet.

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Then try some biological control. With the numbers you have, I would likely do berghias if it were my tank. They take a while to form a large enough colony, but that's all they eat.

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

The options he listed will not take care of such a large amount of aptasia faster than aptasia can reproduce. A massive army of peppermint shrimp and berghia nudibranchs would probably work, but that will also cost a lot to purchase.

6. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

This works most of the time for me. I take kalkwasser powder and mix it with a very small amount of water in a tupperware bowl. needs to be a paste. I take a eyedropper or syringe and suck up the paste into the chamber. I then inject the aiptasia's in the tank with the paste. just watch out dont want to get that stuff on corals directly.. but since you dont have any shouldnt be a problem. this usally works 90% of the time for me.

7. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

in a 10gal nano i had for a year i toyed with aiptasia. some came in on a little piece of live rock and in a week i had an outbreak all over it.

it took months to rid myself of it in a 10gal tank by biological means or by manual removal. it sucks to have to make that decision on so much live rock especially if you paid normal live rock pricing on it.

at this point though you've prolly got aiptasia spores everywhere. so nuking the rock would help, but you may be sad to find that they may start growing elsewhere (sump, glass, overflow, etc).

i dunno, id nuke it all and start over if there were really THAT many of them.

8. Click Here!

9. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

I got it for very cheep. What are the chances of it spreading to other areas besides the LR it came in on in 1 week?

How about a linefish, my LFS said they have one that will eat all of it?
    But I get the feeling this stuff will never go away

10. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

A good chance.

11. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

If I pull all the rock out, LR and Dry (100lbs) and put in the 25lbs or so I nuked last week thats been waiting to go in will my tank crash?
    What about the CC or the LR pieces in my sump?

12. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

I've never had to deal with more than 1 or 2 at a time and those never made it into my DT to start, but the consensus of those that have had larger breakouts appears to be that you just earned a do over and should now nuke all of it including the dry rock due to possible spore contamination.
    you did say you wished you could reaqascape your tank right :jester: