LEOPARD WRASSE FOTM Sep. 08'

Discussion in 'Fish of the Month' started by missionsix, Sep 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Common name: Leopord wrasse (aka's Guinea fowl & Blackspotted)
    Scientific name: Macropharyngodon meleagris
    Reef Safe: YES. Known to be very beneficial in reef tanks controlling various nuisances in our tanks. I have seen mine yank a bristleworm out of a rock.:-Xouch.
    Attitude:Determined, active, careless. They seem to have the same temperment as a six-line wrasse(although not as boisterous). Always scouring rocks and structure for a meal. Mine doesn't seem to care about anyone/anything in the tank except for pods and whatever meal they may come upon.
    Diet:Omnnivorous. Be selective when purchasing this fish. They are known to be picky eaters. Although, mine readily accepts any prepared foods added at feeding time. An ample pod/microfauna population is definitely recommended.
    EDITED Diet info: I recently changed the specific diet of this fish because mine will readily eat greens. This includes nori and broccoli. Strangely enough mine loves to eat coralline also. I'm pretty sure it would any thing short of a toenail.
    Origin: Indo Pacific
    Care: Be sure to have a sand substrate. This fish will burrow into the sand to call it a night and as an escape from predation. Not known to be hardy until after acclimation to the reef. Once acclimated and in the right setting it will become a hardy addition.

Personal Observations: I have found this to be a great fish to watch. This was my replacement for my six-line that went carpet surfing. I am very happy with this purchase/addition. It is neat to watch it burrow into the sand for the night. I have not read about them to be potential jumpers but, observing the fishes somewhat skittish/speedy maneuvering, can see it as a potential. When I first added/acclimated the fish it was rarely seen for a day or two. Fear no evil if the fish becomes missing for a few days. It can stay burrowed for a couple of weeks
    A great site for more info and reference:
    The Leopards of the Reef by Henry C. Schultz III - Reefkeeping.com
    There are many different varieties of (commonly called) leopord wrasses. Do your homework before purchasing to ensure a happy healthy addition to your tank as with all corals and new additions.
    Here's a video of bogie's calling it a night.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/tropical-fish/video-leopard-wrasse-calling-night-47574.html

Please add picture of your Leopord Wrasses here and share your experience. Please add any additional experience/info I may have left out or, contradicted.
    CHEERS,
    Missionsix
    Case;D;D

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
    3 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. MaMoL

MaMoL Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Great post and great fish. I was actually hoping to take on FOTM this month with this exact fish, just couldn't find the time to write it up. Taking pictures of mine is next to impossible since he's always moving.

I would agree with your observation about being somewhat skittish at times and while jumping out always seems like a possibility, I think they're much more likely to dive down in the sand and hide out there when scared than jump out.

Here's a picture of mine, sorry the quality is so poor.

Attached Files:

4. missionsix

Looks like you have the "blue star" leopord wrasse MaMol. Awesome fish. Thanks for sharing.

1 person likes this.
  5. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Ha, yeah, now my other fish usually bother the leopard wrasse when it wants to go to bed. They swim around her and bother her so she won't dive into the sand under that rock. They must want her to stay up late with them :).
    Just a few weekends ago I saw the leopard wrasse "waking up". She came out from the sand under her rock head first, exactly where her tail disappears when she calls it a night.

I'll try to get some new pics tonight Casey.
    Nice fish ya got there MaMoL.

1 person likes this.
  6. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

Awsome job Mission( as always)

1 person likes this.
  7. missionsix

I'm pretty much expecting a pic from you Eric.;D Didn't think of it but, I hope there isn't any copyright infringement::) with the use of your video. When you "google" leopord wrasse your video is at the top of the page. Had to throw it in.
    Interestingly (after cruising around the net today) when the leopord wakes up and comes to. They are a little groggy for a little bit. I've never seen mine wake up and pop out of the sand yet. I have seen it burrow down for the night though. Very cool.

8. Click Here!

9. MaMoL

MaMoL Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I've seen mine wake up a couple times now. He/She is definitely not a morning fish :p

10. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Pics downloading now. Had to sit patiently with a glass of bourbon to get the good pics.

11. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

I have the M. Bipartitus (blue star) and iit only comes out for a few hours a day. Normaly from 6 am-1pm like clockwork. You can almost set your watch to it!
    Very cool fish actually one of my favorites! Although they dont have a good track record for being successfully kept in captivity. Most wont take prepared foods and like dragonettes you need a hefty pod population. to sustain one. I lucked out and got mine eating flake :)
    Not the best photo in the world but she is a quick little bugger!
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Bravo, Mission! :)

Well written. To the point, succinct, informative, entertaining. Shakespeare said, "Brevity is the soul of wit."

Thanks for the info. Well done!

1 person likes this.