LED's......the new revolution.......?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by OoNickoC, Sep 1, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

3 AAA seems kinda of over kill for an LED unless the 3 watter are a real draw.

2. Click Here!

3. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

Well that would explain a bit. I use an led to view my tank @ night.;)

4. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

Con

3 AAA seems kinda of over kill for an LED unless the 3 watter are a real draw.

Not a all. It depends on how bright you want it. Some 3W run on 2 or 3 CR-123 batteries. That is 6V or 9V. 3-AAA is only (1.5 x 3) 4.5V. The higher the V the higher the ouput in lumens. The bigger the batteries are in size, i.e., AAA, AA, C, D the longer the run time. Both a AAA and a D put out 1.5 V but the D will last longer. I have a 3W that runs on 6 AA. My new 1.5 W runs on 3AAA. Many LED lights are not just a bulb and batteries but have IC boards.

I have that smaller Dorcy, only relabled Eddie Bauer. It is a nice light but is not even close to brightnesss as the Coast light I posted. The Coast is 3 x brighter

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  5. darkliteseeker

darkliteseeker Astrea Snail

Well the pro's outway the cons I'm gonna spring the loot for 3 of the 14" solaris leds for christmas my question is whats the difference between the 13,000k and the 20,000k when the ad says you can set the specs any where between 6,500 and 20,000k Which one would you go with if you were in my shoes?

Thanks

6. darkliteseeker

darkliteseeker Astrea Snail

7. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Well since this is still the closest any of us will get to LED lighting for the time being I'll still talk about the flashlight.

Like I said early I have a cheap Garret 3 LED flashlight. It uses 3 no name white LEDs its not very bright but it is my favorite night time fish spying light.

I ended up buying a 3w 3 AA MAG light from HD for $20. 3W LED vs. 3 LED no contest. The 3 watter is very bright. Like 10X brighter. In playing with it and the fish tanks I noticed that it is much brighter than the NO light over my FW tank. You can still see the 3W LED in the 400W MH as well, very small area but LED seem alot more practical after playing with this one.

8. Click Here!

9. BlackWhiteYellow

BlackWhiteYellow Astrea Snail

I've looked a fair bit into led technology for the past 5 years i've watched Luxeon drop their prices of very bright leds.
    LUXEON K2 LEDs - High Power LEDs
    at $3.45 per white led you can make 3 pannels of 25 leds for $258, It really seems like construction and proffits for the item is too high, a ready built 12v power supply would only cost $80 at the most, and large heat sinks that could fit 25 luxeon stars would not exceed the $20.

this product offers you a 440nm peak moon light wich is the limit to luxeon royal blue led, I've come accross web material that states the optimum spectrum for zooanthellae is 420nm

IMO this product is too expensive because no one else has taken the time to develope healthy competition. it lacks the spectrum, most likely because the price of a 420nm led is 3x more expensive.its better to wait till this technology improves or becomes cheaper.