LED's......the new revolution.......?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by OoNickoC, Sep 1, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

Great post Nick and I was just kidding about missing the original link ....... couldn't resist. :)

Thanks for the links Boomer. Very interesting reading.

According to the manufacturer this unit is a no-brainer for about 11 years (if I read correctly).

All things considered for eleven years (MH replacement bulbs, ballasts, timers, dimmers, daylight simulation units, chillers, electricity bills, ..) it's really not a bad deal. There must be some substance to this product because given its healthy price tag it's already sold out for 4-6 weeks.

Very interesting indeed.

2. Click Here!

3. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

Nick

I gues no one here has used or heard first hand of them

No one has had or used them they just came out last month, 2 years in the making. Only Dana and Sanjay have had a set for testing. Sanjay's article is not out yet.

4. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

Its really got me thinking...I heard a bit about it before 3reef got its facelift, but never thought it would really take off. Very interesting. Well, for the smallest model with all expenses considered the initial investment would pay off even if it only lasted 7 years not incl utilities, add those in with the cooling system costs and it sounds like a winner.

5. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

Maybe we can find some one with 18 months financing w/ out interest!!!!

6. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

and I'm sure Nick that in time the price will come down. Pat and the boys are playing with one now in testing that uses 5 W LED's. The biggest issue for 5 W'ers is heat dissipation, which is the same issue with flashlights. So far they have manged to get the heat way down but is still an issue. A single 1-5W LED flashlight, 5" x 1/2" running on 2-CR-123 batteries will get so hot if left on for a few min. it can burn you, even thogh the head is a big heat sink. Most have to have a thermal shut down sensor.

7. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

Wow, I always thought that led's ran alot cooler than most bulbs. But I guess when you emit that much energy from a tiny source its bound to happen. Thanks boomer, sounds like youve been thinkning of putting one on your wish list.

8. Click Here!

9. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

I collect Hi-Tech flashlights Nick :D

10. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I was looking at getting a 3W LED flashlight from Sears for $30. I have a cheap Garret LED flashlight. Great night time coral spying light.

11. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

It may be a 3W covey but the output will depend on the total voltage of the batteries and how it is set up.. Meaning 3W but runs on 1 CR-123, vs. 3W running on 2- CR 123 or even just a single AA. All 3W LED flashlights are not the same. Also, some 3 W'ers have more output than other 3 W'ers.

I just got one that is only 1.25 W, 3- AAA and is the brightest little think I have seen. More so than some of my 3 W or even 5W, some running on 2 or 3 CR 123. 1 CR123 is 3 volts. AAA or even AA are only 1.5 V

Coast® LED-Lenser® LL7736TS V² Tactical Camo Luxeon® Power Chip LED Flashlight Coast® LED-Lenser® LL7736TS V² Tactical Camo Luxeon® Power Chip LED Flashlight - Flashlights

Sears

You must be looking at a Dorcy 3-watt Super LED with 3 AAA. That is an Ok light

12. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie