Led's or stick with Halides

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Stingray, Oct 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Help me pick

1. Leds

67.5%
  2. Halides

30.0%
  3. t5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. not worth the hassle, keep your money

2.5%
  1. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

DIY LEDs, a great option would be the Lumia multi chip or a array based on some Luxeon Ms

2. Click Here!

3. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

This I know!

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Obviously I like LEDs as well, running several systems with them, but until you have experience with halides, it might be early to say the light quality is as good or better. I bet the get there, and for now they are still good, but AS good....

5. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

What he said.

6. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I'm using an evergrow fixture....sorta like reefbreeders. (same company builds them)

1 person likes this.
  7. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

Ok, then prove a new top of the line led fixture isn't as good. I can prove it will save energy, need less maintenance in the form of bulbs and gives more controllability options. The last "great" tests done were on fixtures worse than I use to light my refugium.

My point is I don't think you can quantify the difference in effectiveness without using feelings. (Ugh, feelings) Whereas it can be shown how often you have to change halide bulbs versus LEDs etc.

8. Click Here!

9. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

I am waiting to get our club Par meter butI have had experience with most of the types of lighting. I kept reefs with normal output bulbs. way back when. I have used PC, t-12 VHO, t-5HO, Metal Halide and LED.

my current setup started with 250 watt Metal halide. they did good, but I switched to LED after 1 1/2 years. I put in a DIY custom LED kit. 126 3 watt CREE leds. it is SWEET. I have had it for a year and a half. in that time ALL of my corals have exploded. even when battling AEFW in the last 12 months. my tank has grown SIGNIFICANTLY. I cannot say more so, or less than, but I have had some serious growth. I dont dose, I dont water change. I dont target feed.

My lights are on for 10 hours daily. 6 of those at full strength.
    September 2012.
    [​IMG]
    July 2013
    [​IMG]

detailed photos.
    Sept 2012
    [​IMG]
    Sept 2013
    [​IMG]
    Sept 2012
    [​IMG]
    Sept 2013
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Thank you for sharing your experience. great growth btw. I'm a firm believer that LED's will take over the market in the next FEW years. Theres still some die hard halide fans out there but now that we understand full LED spectrum it will take off. Cost will drop a bit more and we are starting to see more and more successful reef tanks under LEDs.

11. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Awesome pics, and responses, think i might buy the led unit, if i do should i acclimate the new lights to the corals?

Also Pickupman66, you say you have never dosed or done a water change, i see this being said quite often, i find it hard to understand how your corals get calcium etc once these are depleted, am i missing something?

12. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Stingray. I have a Calcium Reactor. this keeps my CA and ALK stable. as for water changes, YEARS ago, I started not doing them. With the advent of Solid carbon dosing like Ecobak and such, so long as my nitrates are at manageable levels and phosphate is in check, I dont do them. I do have to add salt to my system once a month. but only a few cup fulls.

as for changin over, YES, you need to acclimate your corals to the new light. start off low and over a period of weeks ramp it up to acceptable levels.

My system has two circuits. 1 is dimmable, the other is not. on the dimmable half, I ramped them up to 90% over a period of 3 weeks. so it was 30% the first week, 60% the 2nd and 90% the third. then on week 4 I ran the non dimmables for 2 hours. then 4 then 6.

Hope this helps.