LED's on an open-top.

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Seano Hermano, Nov 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I don't see blackraven in this thread :p (I made the comment)
    Radio Shack is your friend then. They have a 9V regulated for cheap.

2. Click Here!

3. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

If you're looking for a power source for the dimmer control, check out your local RadioShack. I picked up an "enercell" AC adapter which lets you switch the output voltage in 1.5V increments from 3V - 12V.

The max you can drive the dimmer circuit is 10V, so you would have to settle for the 9V option on the AC adapter. From there you can adjust the SRV2 pot in the Meanwell to until you reach the max 1A current that the Cree's can handle @9V from your dimmer source.

This means you can drive your diodes at:

- 100% @ 9V
    - 83% @ 7.5V
    - 66% @ 6V
    - 50% @ 4.5V
    - 33% @ 3V

This setup worked well for me while I was testing my string of 12 Cree's before I got the dimmer source hooked up to my controller. It's also a pretty cheap and easy option. The downfall of course being you need to manually switch the output voltage on the adapter to dim the LED's.

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

If I had to manually control the dimmer...what's the point?

5. Seano Hermano

6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Because not everyone needs it. Dimming via a pot and a walwart is really the poor man's way of dimming. The driver just needs a 0-10V signal. How you achieve this is endless. Some people use their tank controllers.

I presume you were looking for manual dim?

7. crank2211

I guess I'm confused. Are you hooking this up to a controller to handle dimming automatically? Otherwise, wouldn't a 10k Pot or an adjustable wallwart option both mean manual dimming?

I agree a 10k pot after a regulated 9V source would give you more resolution than just an adjustable adapter. I didn't even realize you were looking at a potentiometer. Just offering another solution to powering the dimmer circuit to let you control dim %.

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Yes, I planned to connect this to a controller. When I posted my list of stuff to get I included the 10k pot, but not the 9v adapter, simply because Rapid LED does not offer the 9v.

10. Seano Hermano

So I guess that's where I'm lost. Do I not need the adapter except for manual dimming/testing the lights?

What's the walwart?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  11. crank2211

Correct. If your controller can output 0-10V, then that is what you will use to drive the dimmer circuit on the Meanwell. Otherwise you need the adapter(Wallwart) to drive the dimmer circuit with an optional pot in between. The wallwart can be useful for bench testing the LED's and such but not totally necessary if your controller can handle it.

edit:
    Also, you don't even need the 10k pot if you're going to use your controller to dim. Assuming the voltage is correct coming out of your controller, just wire it directly up to the Meanwell dim +/-

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  12. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

^ This guy has you covered.