LED's for refugium?

Discussion in 'RapidLED' started by BoBo65, Sep 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Hey I am thinking about switching to LED for my refugium the cfl bulb is just to hot without a big fan. I am thinking about the moonlight driver for 4 LED's. What is the best color for chaeto, should I get all cool white, maybe throw in a red or neutral white?also do you think 4 LEDs would be enough to light up a small fuge about 6 inches wide by 11 inches long or would I need to upgrade to the bigger driver and run 6-8 LEDs.

2. Click Here!

3. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Bump 4 input :)

4. Anldyxp

Anldyxp Skunk Shrimp

I've tried 6500k LEDs for my refugium before and they just didn't cut it. Ever since I switched to a 10w 6700k cfl bulb the chaeto has been growing nuts.

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I thought I saw somewhere people are using RED leds to grow cheato and other macro algae in their refugiums.

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I've also heard about red being a good color temp (in general) for refugiums. Can't remember why they prefer the red wavelengths...

You might get warm white LEDs, along with some reds.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

8. Click Here!

9. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

660nm is used for plants and refugiums because it helps trigger chlorophyll A (helps with photosynthesis), people use them for algae scrubbers quite successfully. Most people that are building lights for refugiums however will use predominantly cool white, I believe ~6500K is best for chaeto. If you want to mix in some warm/neutral white instead of red that's okay as well, those whites do a better coverage of the red spectrum than the cool whites do.

10. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

The generic dimmable 6500K par 38's from ebay work great. Also for a while I had a marineland reef capable 10K on my 30 gallon fuge and evertyhing looked great! And then the power supply on the marineland broke. The reefbreeder's light looks very interesting as well, I have been following his progress and he has had good results thus far.