Led's for a 7ft long aquarium

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by xpand, Mar 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xpand

xpand Flamingo Tongue

Hello, My 210g has a few fixtures on it right now. The original was an 72'' eight bulb T5 H.o. It's down to three bulbs still working. I picked up another 48'' 4bulb T5 and a 150watt clamp on Metal halide.
    The problem with this is that it's almost covering the whole aquarium and makes it tough to do water changes. I'm thinking LED or T5/MH combo.

If I went with LED what would I need to run to keep LPS. Tank is 18'' deep.
    What are the benefits with LED and can you easily fix them if you have problems?
    Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

i would nbe more concerned with how many leds with thaat long of a tank optic angles and such and changing a led out s ez long as u drilled and didnt epoxy to heatsink

4. xpand

xpand Flamingo Tongue

What would you suggest using?

5. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

7 feet, i would do 96 leds 24 leds x 4 heatsinks size appropriate maybe sumthing diy from rapid 40 or 60 degree angle optics

6. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

If you can DIY, call RAPID and they will hook you up. Otherwise, you won;t like the bill...

7. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I would not suggest that narrow of optics for such few LED's. They would have to be mounted very high.

I am running 60 degree optics mounted at 12" and still do not get good blending.

If just doing softies, and LPS, you should be just fine with 96 LEDs.

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

2X 48 DIY dimmable kit from rapidled with 60 degree optics and 4 heatsinks will work great! About $1000

10. xpand

xpand Flamingo Tongue

Sounds great, especially the 1000.00 price tag. Some of the LED stuff i've been looking at over the past 6 months seem to be out dated every 60 days. Almost the same as computers? New technology so often makes me wonder if they have them 100% figured out yet?
    Has anyone noticed this or had any problems that couldn't be easily solved?

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I think you're ok with the DIY fixture or something like the ecotech radian or AI sols. All those will allow you to easily change up anything that gets improved if you wanted. Especially if ya get the plug and play model from rapid. New leds come out and u can easily swap them out.