LEDS, cloud cover, lightning and ect..

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by DBOSHIBBY, Apr 15, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I like the ramp up and down for the same reasons above. Cloud coverage and lightning are just toys for us to play with. I don't have a problem with using the lightning because it is something which would occur on the reef.

2. Click Here!

3. Anthony Danta

Anthony Danta Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

the special effects are cool but in the 3 months I have had them the only times I have used them is to show family or friends that being said once I get my tank dialed in and I have time to mess more with all the settings I may use them more often still fairly new to the hobby so at the moment im spending most of my time figuring out how to juggle all the things I need to do on a daily basis just got a new app to help with this I had notes and reminders all over my place haha anyways they are very cool but not necessarily needed the ramp function is the biggest reason I went with a model that can do all this

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

So my girl friend came over and I say" so you want to see the lighting?" she is like thanks Cheryl, but you showed it too me last time I was here was her reply. Yes I believe in ramping your lights up.

chris adams likes this.
  5. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

You are to funny!

Ramp up and Down only makes sense to have and utilize imo. But there has been plenty of success with just on and off(probably still the norm I would think). So once again it is a preference thing until someone does a study that says your corals undoubtedly benefit from ramping up and down. However I will say with the tank in the bedroom it is so nice to have that feature, and watch the lights dim at night and the corals pop as the white fades into a deep blue. At this point I will never purchase another light that does not have controllable features.

I do not have a bunch of disposable cash, so paying for lightening, and clouds is added cost I am not willing to pay for.

Corailline likes this.
  6. hig789

hig789 Plankton

I spent a few years away from the hobby and when I got out LEDs were just coming onto to the scene. I was running SE MH's and atenic VHOs. Now I have a nano with a NanoBox led retrofit on it controllers by a BlueFish mini. I'll never go back to simple on off. I love the ramp up and down, when my main lights are ramped down the moonlight quickly ramps up. I really just like the moon light for nighttime viewing.

The bluefish mini is a sweet controller for a DIY setup. I use the cloud function but only play with the lightening. Haven't used the lunar cycle yet though. The cloud function from what I have seen just slightly dims the lights like a cloud passing over head. I think it does this even when the forecast is mostly cloudy too. No overall dimming of the lights for a extended period.

7. jeffp1

jeffp1 Plankton

My lights are programmable and I try to mimic nature. My corals are growing better now than any other time in the last 17 years. I'm sold on ramping up and down.

8. Click Here!

9. hig789

hig789 Plankton

I got out of the shower the other night and walked through our dark living room and apparently we had thunderstorms in the forecast. The lightening flashed and scared the crap out of me. Haha

Corailline likes this.
  10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

:DYeah I have done that to my boyfriend. I still think it's really cool.

hig789 likes this.
  11. hig789

hig789 Plankton

Yeah I think it's awesome was just in my own little world and wasn't expecting it.

Corailline likes this.