LED wattage for wattage : Radion 120w vs JBJ 89w

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by jnicita, Mar 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jnicita

jnicita Plankton

So, Im in the process of moving from a 28g (well, 22g really) JBJ PRO LED (89watts) 18"deep to a 50g rimless cube 20"deep with a single Radion xr30w.

I've seen lots of people going from MH to Radions and T5's to Radions, and everyone worried about intensity and stepping up the light.

My question is about my setup, the JBJ Pro LED isn't a slacker in light, at least my experience with ANYTHING considered "high" light just thriving in my current setup.

However, I do have both tanks setup in opposite corners of a Piano alcove and I can say the Radion looks so much better, but Im not sure I can say that its more than the expected 1.3x brighter than the math says it should be.

Can anyone help me, should I worry about "ramping up" the Radion? My tank is 20 deep, my old tank being 18" deep. Can I just assume that 89watts from the JBJ is 74% the light of the Radion? (89w/120w=.74166...).

Thanks in advance.

I've looked at the code sharing site for the radion, and grabbed Mikes algae suppression code (which just drops the intensity from his normal code) and am running that right now.

-John