LED+Regular bulbs?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by JJL, Jun 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Personally I would stay with the 1watters. But that's just me. The 3w might be too intense. I know when Nightridda did his cree build they were very bright over his 55g tank.

Although I see Captive Aquatics said it was great for a nano, so maybe this will work...

How deep is the RSM?

2. Click Here!

3. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

The 1 watters get hot though, and it would equate to the same since there are so many. Th OP stated he wanted to increase his lighting pwer as well.

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

OK. Then these might be a good choice!

5. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Yeah, its only 6W more per module. And you could velcro the Aquarays, since they have a flat back.
    I still don't believe the stunners will have enough power to seriously alter the color of your lights.
    Here is a modded RSM, still has stock PC but with 3 TMC AquaBeam 500s
    YouTube - ‪Red Sea Max 130D 1.9 Years old‬‏
    And another modded with 3 reef whites
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTGzU1vA8M8&feature=related

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  6. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

That is very nice. Thanks for showing me that, Panfish. Are those ones plug and play?
    Would I have the power for a crocea clam possibly? Or would it not add that much power?
    I ask because I cannot go with SPS (mainly a softy tank) and maximas require the rocks (I do not have much room on the rocks).
    Would these lights also increase overall growth/color of the coral? I might go with these, but if they are not that much better I will just stay with the stunners.
    Thanks
    JJL

7. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

1. Yes, I believe so. They come with a driver. Here is what you'd need, but you would probably be better off comparing these to Panorama Strips then stunner. For power and price point.
    AquaBeam 600 DuoTwin: 2 x 12W Reef Blue
    2. I'd try a Squamosa first, but up high I don't see why not.
    3. It would probably equate to another PC, 24W in LED total. Plus these would put out more PAR than a PC, so it would be adding way more power than 2 stunners.
    4. Yes, the blue LED will cause coral colors to POP.

8. Click Here!

9. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Ok great. I will do more research and see if could go to a store to view the lights in person

10. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

They have em in England, and Cali. I think sice DRTim's is the only distributor I can find in the US, you probably won't find em at your LFS.
    Here is what a UK 3reefer said about them:

my LFS has a dipslay tank (standard 55G) with these on. Theyre keeping LPS in it, everything from elegance to favites etc.. I've been monitoring the tank now 6 months, good growth and everything looks great still - i cant see any signs of anything dying.

Id like to add that the shimmer is amazing, much better then any halide and the colour temp is great! They have recently changed one of their stock tanks (the one with leather corals for sale) to LEDS. Obviously things sell too quickly to monitor in this tank, but i am outstanded as to how these lights make the coral look so much prettier - the colour balance between white and blue really is amazing. \http://www.3reef.com/forums/reef-lighting/tmc-aquaray-aquabeam-led-lighting-69602.html
    Here is the only vendor I could find. 3reef sponsor too so you might get a discount!
    AquaBeam & GroBeam 500/600 LEDs

11. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Ok so I have done some looking around and have come to this conclusion:
    The Aquabeams look great, but I do not plan to add any SPS or other higher light needing coral, also the price of the aquabeam would come out to be almost triple 2 stunners. I think I will go with 2 of the blue panoramas (Ecoxotic's $100 LED strip)
    They will; increase growth while increasing color and look of the tank. In addition, at $200 (For 2) they are almost $100 cheaper than the aquabeams.
    Do you support this dicision knowing what I want the lights for?
    LMK what you think.
    Thank you very much for helping ;)
    JJL

12. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

I figured cost would change your mind. I think that perhaps the TMCs are 80$ more fixture, they run more powerful LEDs, and the favored 3 watters, as opposed to 1W LEDs. You would have to screw in the panoramas because of their heatsinked back.
    Do you want to do a DIY?