LED lights build thread

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by That Guy, Dec 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

2. Click Here!

3. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

i searched that (Cree XR-E LED’s)

and looked at the first results site they have led's in the 10,000k range ^.^

4. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

ok well the halogen lamp LED retrofit build is complete!! here it is running in a floor lamp that i had sitting in my closet. I just cut the power chord off and attached a 12vdc adaptor to the end in its place.
    [​IMG]

If anyone is interested in my schematics just let me know and i can post them for you... so with that one in the books lets move on to the big kid toys!!! :)

I got the parts i have been awaiting for and will start the build tomorrow. Im still designing the heat sink for this system and i plan to have it milled out of aluminum. So here is the schematic for one of the three channels. The only difference between any of them will be the resistor values.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

Are you planning on using this on a tank?? fish only or reef? I'm still a bit confused, cool light though!

6. That Guy

the new build will be a reef lighting system...the one that i have been working on in the pics above (minus the schematic) are just for a refugium or planted tank. It was just something to hold me over till i got the parts in for this build that i am starting tomorrow.

7. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

that will be most promising for LED's if you are able to successfully keep coral, what are you planning to keep? and what size tank is it? i will be following this one along for sure.

8. Click Here!

9. That Guy

good question. Ill def try to keep sps and lps under them and a 2ft tank of some sort but i really havent thought that far ahead of time hahah! im more or less just building this thing for fun and if it works out well keeping coral than awesome....if not than i got parts to play with and build something else. I look at most electronics like legos anyway...once i put them together its only a matter of time before i rip it apart and build something new. :)

10. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

So the next light setup you're using will be with Luxeon LEDs?

11. That Guy

12. That Guy

made a little bit of progress tonight...finished drawing the circuit board for the controller and mixed up a batch of etchant to make a DIY PCB. The toner didnt transfer very well to the blank board after like 10 tries so i gave up and just did it with sharpie :)

The board is now in the etchant and should be ready in a few minutes. Ill update this if the board comes out as planned.