Led lightning for deep freshwater aquarium?

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by ch.campos, Mar 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ch.campos

ch.campos Plankton

Dear all,

I am very confused about the led lightning information on the internet and would like a help from you. I have a 24” depth freshwater aquarium and would like to add a led system for medium or high lighting plants. I have discus fishes and low lighting plants working fine.

To my knowledge I have two commercial affordable options:
    1) Marineland Double Bright 36” – that seems to not have enough PAR for medium light plants in such deep aquarium (36 – 48” - (16) 1W 6000K White & (8) .06W Blue LEDs 1200 Lumens) (Our Products)

2) Marineland Reef capable 36” - that seems to have enough PAR readings for this deep, but 10.000 k white leds (36 – 48” - (36) 10,000K White & (6) 460 nm Blue 1W LEDs - 2610 Lumens) (Our Products)

a) Can I use the Reef capable for freshwater? Or am I wasting too much kelvins for freshwater plants?
    b) Adding two Marineland Double Bright could I solve the problem of low PAR? http://www.marineland.com/uploadedFiles/Marineland/11078iMLLEDCharts.pdf
    c) Actually how much PAR should I have at the bottom for medium/high lighting plants?
    d) DIY system could save more than 50% or solve problems that these commercial options can’t solve?
    e) Do you have any other recommendations or right questions?

Thanks very much,
    Chris

Aquarium specification:
    boyu lh 1000
    40*20*24" lxwxh
    83 gal
    50W T8
    substrate: fondo vivo + fluorite
    freshwater
    low lighting plants
    CO2 system
    discus fishes

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

honestly neither of those are the right spectrum for plants, although they probably will grow some plants.

I would probably get a 4 bulb t5HO or even a 6 bulb fixture since you have CO2.