LED Lighting ?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by kiarah, Dec 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

If you are worried about money then i don't think you should invest in an unproven technology.

People spend $2000 or $3000 and are pissed? Because they thought that spending a lot of money meant getting quality product. Not always the case.

Before you buy the item you should make sure that it can be returned if it doesnt work out.

I've also heard that some of the lights in the clusters can go out. But i think in the future this will be the better choice and the prefered technology.

2. Click Here!

3. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

The cost off the LED i need is £360 and they are low in running cost & if you have MH the unit cost around £380 Then you need a chiller £300- £600 then you have the amazing electric bill for running the two things!. Im not to worried about the £360 cause at the end off the day if they are really crap then ill have to get MH but before i fork out a small furtune on the MH set up id rather see if there is a cheaper to run other option...e.g LEDs If they are sronger then T-5 and are very cheep to run i think they could be a good choice. They come with 10 year garentee and i think you can get replacement led lghts if they go after the 10 year period.
    It just a idea and im thinking out loud before i finally decide which to go for!
    K;D

4. Beamerhack

Beamerhack Coral Banded Shrimp

LEDs can burn out if their dropper resistor is too low in value (or shorted). The can also wear out like lightbulbs, but that would take billions of years of constant use.

This means basicly that they dont burn out. LED's have been around for a LONG time.

They have been proven already to grow true plants indoors better than any other light source. Salt water tank owners are just figuring out that they too can use them. Another note is that the LED's and the spectrum they spit out. Very hard to design a good Coral light with having some spectrum lost without spending tons of money. Agian cost is the only factor.

They are thousands of times better than a MH HPS PC T-5 etc...

I dont know where you are reading that they have been burning out or even burning out ballast's.

That is 100% wrong

Edit:

[​IMG]

This is what they are talking about. Not the moonlights.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  5. tbpb3

tbpb3 Astrea Snail

Yes,$2,800.00 for a four foot fixture is too steep for me.
    I hope that they come down in price soon. I have to do something about my $250.00 a month electric bill.

6. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

we have a few clients with LED fixtures and every one of the fixtures i have worked with all have the issues that Dr. Fragenstein mentioned. Although there is the aquaillumination fixture that i have yet to have any hands on experience with.

7. fishoholic

fishoholic Purple Spiny Lobster

My LFS had some new LED fixtures on a 200 gal 28"deep tank. Each fixture only had like 10 lights, but were very bright. The fixture was cool enough to touch, I'd never try that with a MH. next time I go to my LFS I'll get more info on them. He also said that there were going for $700 a pop, but I'm sure you could find them cheaper on the net.

8. Click Here!

9. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Hey Kiarah

I think you should go for it! As you stated they are the same price as MH. Plus they are coming from TMC which is a reputable company and if ballasts and bulbs do wear out.....under UK law everthing must come with a manufacturers warantee of 12 months so TMC would just replace it.

It would be nice to get some first hand feedback on this technology. As far as i know, no one here has them.
    When you get them please keep us updated :)

10. nanoreefer555

nanoreefer555 Fire Shrimp

I have been curious about this myself for some time. I don't have much too add to this thread that hasn't already been said. I did hear that the controllers on them allow for a bunch of variable daytime and nighttime lighting settings so you can simulate dawn, early morning, late morning, etc... Also, the cost is supposed to be offset by the price you would pay in replacement halide bulbs over the ten year lifespan. I have been waiting to see some real numbers (e.g. lux and par values).

I also heard that you could also vary the emitted spectrum with the controllers, along with the intensity.

11. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

Hi all ! with my tank power crash and all over christmas & lossing one off my loved clowns I was pleased that my lovely husband decided i needed a large christmas prezzy to cheer me up! ........ My new tank lighting = 1 x T-5 39 w 34" actine blue & 1 x 39w 18,000k supar bright tube with starters and also 2 x aquabeam 500 solid staste led marine white strips TMC and 2 x aquabeam 500 marine blue led strips ! My husband said as i could not decide which ones to go for he thought he would get both. so hes fitting the new lights tomorrow so im sooooooooo excited. Ill take some pics and to show you all how i get on.
    K