LED lighting

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Sayce08, Mar 27, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Which Light?

1. MH

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. LED

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. PC

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. OTHER?? Post it

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Its more to it rather then a lights intensity . I ran that small set I made for several months before we decided to go with this huge bank of them. WE should have the tank up over the next week and if interested ? I'll posy some pictures and or information about how the corals react to them as opposed to the M.H and or T-5 or VHO's we use everything there is that works and conserves power. Even use several sun tubes through the roof t

But so far I'll say the T-5's are very over rated compared o the old VHO setting side by side and with the same type animals with in the same systems water. over the last 4 months I and all who have looked or been involved all say the VHO's provided for better growth and coloration.. And the LED's still have not proveing to me what they will do in the real world but we'll see :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. Sayce08

Sayce08 Astrea Snail

I think I'm most interested in how cost efficient they are as far as energy... you save about 200 bucks a year just on electricity... never mind how much you save in investing in a chiller or turning your ac up to cool the tank down.

Think Green (as in saving the the earth not money) buy LEDs ;D

I may be wrong but im figuring if I make my own Lighting with MH I am gunna spend around 300 so i feel like if you include bulb changes and electricity, (and heat if that will be an issue) I may be better off in the long run with LEDs even though they are so expensive on the onset

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Its always better not to start a tank untill you have enough $$$ for everything you will need anyways. No sense in buying something to get you buy when it will only help for a little while.

5. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

there's no doubt that the new LED system are "the next best"... but IMO, there is no way in halibut that ANY light setup is worth over 2 grand! if you REALLY want LED's for aquarium lighting, you can get the underbody lighting kits that they make for cars, and somehow wire them up to work in-home... i saw someone do that a while back with a blue kit, to replace the "moonglow" led's.. granted, unless you're like a guru with electronics, you won't be able to adjust them, but it would still be considerably cheaper... i think a kit would be roughly 2 to 3 hundred... i think the idea of LED's is amazing, but i down right refuse to spend the money for them... now, if PFO would let me have a set for free, i'd be willing to pay the shipping and handling, i wouldn't complain one single little bit... all 300+ pounds of me AND my broken foot would do backflips and somersaults all day long! that's like having a long-lost rich relative dying and giving his entire estate to you!

6. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

I think you should buy me one and i will test it out.

I read an article that compare the price of 7 years of replacement bulbs compare to a LED that can last up to 8 years. That will cost me $840.00, plus the $500 for the fixture. +$280 if i did use T5HO actnic. So if i did not already have my lighting and did not want the hassle of switching bulbs ever year, i would series consider one.

7. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

Also forgot 40% less electricity!

8. Click Here!

9. robojet

robojet Astrea Snail

Solaris LED Lighting by PFO: I just found this link and had to put in my 2 cents... I spent a long-time reading a post I found on another forum regarding this. If you can't stand doing all the reading - and it's loooonnnnngggggg, then just do this... scroll down and look at this post: "Posted by cindyolson on 10/03/2006 08:56 PM". Subsequently, search on the posters name for additional photos as time progressed. The results are outstanding! I would love to have one of these fixtures... and will probably get one in the next year. I vote LED.

Have fun: Reef Central Online Community - Solaris Led lighting systems

10. Kentanner11

Kentanner11 Coral Banded Shrimp

My vote LED Solaris, This is a really great product. my LFS bought solaris for their back tank it is amazing, closest thing to the sun. It is really cool but has a big price tag! I personally would not buy them because of the cost but would later, once I am more set up and have money saved! lol!

11. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Its all about T-5HO. I have sps doing great and if I had room a clam would be added. I know some people who have had clams form many years with T-5s

12. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i don't know if i read this on here or some other forum but i think it pertains to the situation Clearly LEDs, Home . i think i am going to buy a couple for some supplement lighting