led lighting

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by pooner, Nov 12, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pooner

pooner Astrea Snail

has anybody researched led lights ihave seen the 2 watt 6200k lights and was wondering if it could be used for corals

2. Click Here!

3. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

4. pooner

pooner Astrea Snail

thanks that definitly helps. gives me several starting points at least

5. BlackWhiteYellow

BlackWhiteYellow Astrea Snail

I've been really interested in leds for quite some tme, i found 500 blue leds for $20 at ledshoppe.com, I've built a 171led array from these and for the price you pay, there is plenty of light, they also have uv ones but i'm not sure about putting in uv at 380nm - 400nm. if anyone knows this spectrum is harmfull then please tell.

All that aside, i've gone through the nano-reef thread. and no-one has bothered to mention that you can use a standard rectifier diode to drop the voltage in 0.7v intervals, the comomn ones are rated at one amp, so you don't need many of them in parralel to handle a large load. also the voltage drop is independant of current, so if you add more leds you still get the same voltage drop.

I'll be ordering 500 blue, 500 green, 500 red to start playing with and testing out, let us know how your set up goes and what led's your interested in getting.

6. pooner

pooner Astrea Snail

i belive you can use the uv led lights just use fewer. it would be easyer if we had something to measure the led wave lengths

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

The light that visible to the human eye is from 380-780nm. Below 380nm is Ultraviolet and above 780nm is Infra Red. PAR is considered to be 400-700nm. UV-A is 320-400nm, UV-B is 280-320nm and UV-C is 200-280nm. You will see a small amount of UV-B between 310-320nm and a considerable amount of UV-A from 320-400nm

8. Click Here!

9. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

400-420nm is actinic, 420nm being true actinic

10. BlackWhiteYellow

BlackWhiteYellow Astrea Snail

This is something i have been chasing up for quite some time now, today i recieved an e-mail from the sales dep at yesled.com.
    unfortunately he missunderstood that when i was asking for a quote on 50pk
    100pk of these.

http://psycotech.com/420nm.pdf

to say the least this is the cheapest 420nm I've come accross in all my time searching, If anyone wants to put some money togeter to get these then let me know.

I'll be asking them for a sample to test, if any one knows a person with access to a spectrometer in that range, i will try to get the sample to them.
    I'l also ask led museum if they would like to have a look at it for me.

11. Ph4Y5e

Ph4Y5e Astrea Snail

Ive seen LED strips pre made wired and everything in hong kong... any colour u want... you can also custom make them to any size or colour....and yes ...its dirt cheap...lol..

Im thinkin bout usign LEDS for night lighting...

anybody done that before?

LOL RAMBO... well thats still not the weirdest english name ive encountered in these parts...