LED lighting?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by wonderd, Jan 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

well according to the comparison to a t5 bulb you would need two of them.

I think your starting to notice why LED's just aren't there yet for this hobby.

2. Click Here!

3. wonderd

wonderd Plankton

lol, OKAY. What I dont like about the mnarinlife reef compatable one is the white bulbs are 10k. That is to blue for me, I like the white look. There double bright system used 6k bulbs. How come the one you listed uses 10k?

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

usually 10k is pretty white, with a slight hint of blue. most people in the hobby say they are yellow.

I will say 10k t5's are basically solid white.

5. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

From what I've read the Marineland LED fixture run a fairly low end LED emitters. It's not very good for corals, but if you have just a fish only tank then it would be very good because of the low power consumption.

IMO I would stay away from LED fixtures on eBay. LED's are the next best thing. People realize that now and some may be trying to make a quick buck through eBay. I'm not saying this seller is trying to scam anyone. I'm just saying it's going to happen on ebay if it hasn't already began.

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I still think you should consider t5 lighting, to light your tank it would only be the equivalent of 4 60 watt incadescent bulbs. which isn't much.

7. wonderd

wonderd Plankton

54watt i think not 60. But still thats 216 watts running for 6-12 hours. Thats the only reason I wish I can get away with LED

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

that's not a huge amount a 5 dollars more a month, just cut your hot water heater down a couple degrees.

10. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

11. wonderd

wonderd Plankton

seems cheap but I always read that you need individual reflectors

12. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

I have the 24 inch model and it works just fine IMO but you will hear alot of people bash the fixture when theres nothing wrong with it, and the indevisual reflectors help but they can cost alot more. My only segestion with this fixture is that you change the bulbs to a higher quality bulb.