Led lighting units

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by kiarah, Apr 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

you have looked in the wrong places.

http://www.warehouse-aquatics.co.uk...-halide-pendant-with-led-moonlight-1805-p.asp

Thats just one i found quickly as example

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

Ok i have to admit im very fussy when it come to the style off the lighting & being a women if it dont look good it aint going in my livingroom!
    I would rather pay a bit more to have something that looks good, but its not just that MH are way to exspensive to run over hear do you not find that ? All i ever read is how much electric they use & that people are struggling with there big electric bills.If i didnt have to worry about my monthly outgoings then i would have probably pushed the boat out & just gone for a nice luminar but i didnt want to have to get it then realise i cant afford to run it & you have extra costs off chiller and so on. At the end off the day £380 on led that work fantastic look great on my tank & have minamal change to my electric bill is great! If i had bought a cheap MH that looked horrible it would have ruined the look off the tank & making pointless......... Why put so much money & effort into something if its going to not look perfect.........
    So i guess its down to money & personal taste

Thanks Kiarah

4. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Ha ha - When you put it like that "fair enough". Yes the pretty to look at ones are expensive i agree with you on that! ;D

1 person likes this.
  5. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Yep, even the cheapest smallest moonlight LEDs should produce a shimmering effect. My 2 Current USA LED strips produce a shimmering on my nano. My tiny 2-LED moonlight unit produces shimmering at night when the other lights go out. :) I think a big factor in getting the shimmer is the amount of surface water disturbance that is present.

6. kiarah

Yes your right, i love my led lights but people just dont seem to wanna get them!!!!!!!!! they were a very good price & you can see what my tanks lite like in the show off your tank section....... I think if more people give them a chance they wpold be very surprised at how good they really are
    Thanks k;D

7. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

what kind of corals are you keeping?

8. Click Here!

9. kiarah

I have torch coral, ridacorda + loads off baby ones , blue mushroom + loads off baby ones, green star palp, button palp,
    1 clown, 1 yellow tang ,1 flame angle,
    2 peppermint, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 lobster
    4 snails,
    6 hermits

4 led aquabeam lighting units in reef whites & reef blues 2 x t-5 bulbs that im going to replace with 2 more led units once i have the money ( just moved house so a bit skint!)
    Thanks K

10. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

you have had success, but no sps in your tank. if i'm gonna drob that much money on a light, i want sps. I have a giant torch halfway down under PC lighting, so thats not saying much. until you get success with SPS, you cant push the lighting on anyone yet.

11. kiarah

I dont think £380 is that much compared to all the other lighting ive seen & your right i have not kept any sps under them as ive only been running my tank 7-8 months so im still new.Im just going from what i have seen in my tank& so far its very exciting.... all my mushrooms , ridicorda and so on have gone into over drive & spread right from one end off my tank to the other in the past 6 weeks! i got the ridicorda a month before christmas from someone who had it under t-5 lighting for a year. I kept it under t-8 for the 1st month i had it then at christmas i got my new led lights & since then its made 7 new babyones & like i said about the blue mushrooms they spread like mad under the new light! in the 6 weeks my tank has been set up in my new house they have spread from one end off my tank to the other and that to me is amazing!
    Once my tanks is all up & stable & i have done more reserch on sps maybe in 6 months ill add a sps & document how it copes under the lights
    Thanks Kiarah

12. rtfetch

rtfetch Plankton

I have noticed in my tank that sps corals dont seem to like the led lights but the soft corals mushroms, colt, zoes, leathers and my lps love the leds. On one of my tanks i have half vho and half leds. On the other tank I have all led lighting .