LED lighting positioning question

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Kadoogen, Jul 26, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kadoogen

Kadoogen Flamingo Tongue

So I have another pressing question for everyone. My new 65G build is coming long nicely. I have a single Radion Gen2 that I am going to mount above the tank (36Lx18Wx24H) I want two but I lack the funds after toss out 1500 bucks on this new build.
    The question at hand is where should I mount it. I have posted a picture of my aquascape it is placed about 2/3 of the way on the back wall with approx 3-4" from the back wall with a good 20 inches in front. Should I mount the light directly in the center of the tank where a large portion will be hitting the top of the rock work or should i move it forward so I have a higher spread on the whole front side of the rock work. I feel the 2nd option is the best as it will keep a lot of unnecessary light off the back of the glass and mostly on the front of the rocks where I will be placing all of my corals. What do you all think?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

I would center the light front to back, the spread of the light should be sufficient for the width of a 65 (standard 65 I assume?). It will be the sides that will lack coverage. May need to mount the light a little higher as they recommend in the manual.