LED degradation over time

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Nismo400rgtr, Mar 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Don't forget about ballast issues and energy costs! I'm not familiar with ballasts cost/lifespan for MH's but it'd be interesting to see a 10 year cost.

No disrespect Mr. Bill, but i figure in 5 years I will prob be itching for the latest and greatest. So I'm not concerned with the quality loss, plus i'm only running my whites at 35% and will prob top off at 50% so I have 50% more to ramp up.

Plus, as they become more popular, i expect the prices too plummet in the next few years, so it won't be that cost prohibitive to replace the failing ones.

But even if they weaken to the point of needing replaced in lets say 5 years, that means these would've cost me $110 a year to own plus energy costs.

Please excuse me if these are wrong and feel free to correct; Lets say ya have a comparable 4(prob should be a 6 bulb) bulb T5 setup to a decent rapid Cree system. Sunlight Supply tek 4 bulb with accessories to hang, splash guard, fan and 4 ATI lights shipped is $445 from MD, plus bulbs every 9 months (20) shipped at same time to save shipping cost is $441 and lets say a ballast replacement at $150 = 5 year ownership of $1036 or $207 a year plus energy costs!

and that doesn't account for the energy savings! Please correct me on the above as I'm not a T5 guy ;)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Actually, you're just a little off.

1- 30" 2 x 24w Nova Extreme = $85
    2- 24w ATI Coral Plus bulbs = $40

The bulbs easily last 12 months, and right now, I'm still having difficulty getting my coral acclimated to the new ATIs. (Was using 1 12000k white and 1 460nm Actinic before switching recently to the CPs).

As for the ballast, my fixture is 6 years old and still ticking.

The least expensive LED I've checked was the PAR38; They're $114 each and I would need 2. IIRC, the OP pointed them out as one that degrades.

For energy savings, my T5 totals 48w, and the PAR38s would total 36w. Not enough difference to matter.

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

lol after I posted, I knew this was coming! I was comparing for my 55g, what I would need as an equivalent in the amount of light and quality.

For your tank ya could get the aqua style 36 dimmable kit with mean wells for $160

And I could of used the much cheaper aqua style as a reference for $250.

As I said I'm not a t5 guy, just from reading threads, it seems most rec swapping bulbs every 9 months, I may be wrong. Correct away;)

If ya had led's ya could just dim them till your corals acclimate;)

To each their own, kinda like the Mac/PC debate, I think both sides are right, just what ya prefer!

5. Mr. Bill

Exactly. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Babytank

Babytank Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Well said NanoMano!! Another plus for Leds is energy use. In this hobby the ocean and ecology is hopefully highlighted. It was worth it to me to risk the change to leds just to use less power for all our sakes. I personally don't care for a hobby that contributes to environmental issues. My tank is doing just fine. :)

2 people like this.
  7. Mr. Bill

I do agree for the most part- I'm NOT anti-LED; But for myself and others with smaller tanks and soft corals only, the technology is just not there yet. The up-front cost of a dependable LED fixture still far outweighs the difference in energy use and maintenance of our current system, not to mention that most are dramatically overpowered concerning our needs. Cheaper units are just that- cheap.

As I've said before, when an alternative has been proven long-term, I'll be happy to switch from T5HO. FWIW, I'm hoping and waiting for that day. :)

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

yeah but led's are cool! don't ya wanna be cool Mr. Bill. All the cool kids are using led's now, come on, just give it a try, ya know you'll like it. Or do you not wanna fit in? lol ;)

I agree, for a small tank without high light issues, not sure i'd drop the cash for led's either! There ya happy, you won. ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

And it would still give more usable light to corals then what you are using Mr. Bill =-p

1 person likes this.
  11. Mr. Bill

I assume you haven't read my other posts, Tom... I'm already having issues with acclimating my coral to my new ATI T5HO bulbs. I don't need to spend $400+ just to have even more problems. :)

12. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

He is Anti LED! Or should I say, " Mr. Bill being anti LED is, for me, to new of an idea to be worth investing time and thought (money) on such an un-proven new idea when the idea of Mr. Bill not liking LEDS is so cheap and proven!"

hehe, I am proud of myself for this one.