Led decision

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Chipattig, Feb 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chipattig

Chipattig Plankton

I understand that some like the price and feel that the lite is better out of the Reef Breeders unit. But it looks like someone parked a truck on the top of their tanks. That is not something I am interested in.

I looked at the AI units and at one point was going to buy them. Then I saw that the radion works with the vortech and that seemed to be a better choice for close to the same money.

The problem is so many people say its not worth it and "I sold mine" that it is giving me pause. If someone gave me a free Reef Breeders light I may use it but buying something I don't like the looks of is kinda hard. Until I find something that looks good and performs well I guess I need to keep looking.

I had someone give me a free Current t5 MH fixture that I have in the basement. The new version sells for $850. It needs new bulbs and it will probably stay in the basement because it is just too big and would look silly sitting on top of my tank.

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I can totally relate to the point s you make here.I chose my razor over a reefbreeders fixture mainly for the slim design and timer system with one power cord.I previously was using a 250w current sunpod HQI and the difference in appearance,less heat,and no fan noise was just amazing.

4. kracer1025

kracer1025 Skunk Shrimp

I just installed 3 radion pro fixtures over my 180. I have been very impressed with the look and performance of these lights and would not change my decision.

5. Chipattig

Chipattig Plankton

Which ones did you get? Gen1, gen 2, or pro?

6. Reef2Keep

Reef2Keep Purple Spiny Lobster

My radion G2 has been up for a few weeks, and I'm still happy with it, think it looks great. Only complaint is that the ESL goes down often, but once your graph is dialed in there's not much need to go back to it. The programming capability with the radion is amazing. And the slim (and I mean slim!) design was a selling point for me as well.

The AI color was the only other model that had me torn. My LFS has AI blues and radions running. The AI look really really nice, but the radion won me over.

I don't think you'll make a bad choice, go with your gut.
    Cheers.

7. Chipattig

Chipattig Plankton

Thanks,

That is kinda what I was looking for.

I like that the AI has 20 channels (1 for each LED) which is cool but I am not sure I need that level of control. I figured that for the first few weeks i would probably mess around with the program but after I got something I liked I would leave it alone.

8. Click Here!

9. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Remember the Vega will be able to have the LED colors customized in the future. The powerpuck, it will allow you to customize each puck of leds to the colors of your choosing. No idea when thats coming out tho.

10. kracer1025

kracer1025 Skunk Shrimp

I have the pro model. To answer your question about sunrise sunset. You could dial in any color you want from red to orange in the morning to deep blue at night. You could do that with any model of radion as well.

11. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

So, Chip, whats it gonna be?! LOL

Its such a tough call, because every unit has its pros/cons. at some point we just need to pick the "one" that meets the most criteria from the pros/cons chart.

Or get crazy and buy them all!!

I just got a few 120w razors up over my 120(48x24). They look awesome!! So much slimmer and sleeker than the MH/PC fixture that was up there. Ill grab a few pics in a minute.

Today, I should be getting a pair of Gen2 Radions!! I might be up for a sidexside later.

pics to follow!!

12. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

Here some pics..,
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362077076.070271.jpg
    MH fixture.(2x150 ) no Blue of

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362077159.963660.jpg
    Unaltered razor pic just after hanging

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362077208.957672.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362077244.506992.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362077262.161437.jpg
    Above with the razor