LED advice

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Magnus, Mar 22, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RavenSF

RavenSF Astrea Snail

My growth has been really good with certain corals, especially montis, my toadstool and a few acros. I've run into an issue where my growth has slowed as certain elements has gotten out of balance in the water.

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Thank you, Cheryl... I would love to be part of your perfect world. That way all this would be figured out by now and we would all brag about how big our tanks are, rather than how fast a type of coral grows in my tank vs your tank. We would all have "the" fixture and only have to worry about dosing the right "stuff" in it, lol... a wonderful world I would not mind being part of.

Being a Latino, I like shiny things (you can giggle). Shimmer is something I am really looking forward to and of course, I agree with you 100% on the need for long term tweaking to fine tune for the perfect result. I will enjoy that process. But the process of choosing the best fixture, I compare with doing water changes ;-)
    I trust your research though, I know you. You like facts (and good looks). How have your corals being doing with your hydra? Have you upgraded your tank size? If I remember correctly you have one of the bigger nanos?

EDIT: I just re-read my post. I'm in no way trying to say that you are dreaming, Cheryl, but only sharing my wish for an easy, straight forward easy reefing. A dream indeed. But nothing wrong with dreaming ;-)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
    Corailline likes this.
  4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

DSC reef and mdbostwick like this.
  5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Nice to hear!! What kind of acros do you keep? If you have a thread w/pics, please link me to it!! I feel like there is so much for me to catch up with :)

6. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Great! Point me to your 43 pager!

Congrats on your tank, Cheryl. I see we both had a fall out. I'm reading your build thread now (about to start the 4th page)... I'll look at lights again in.... 6 hrs :p

Do you have any threads where you were just looking at lights... I bet there would be tons of info on it if you have it. You're quite the popular girl here :)

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I am lucky to have such great 3reef buddies for sure, emphasis on for sure!

Actually I did a lot of my research on RC mostly. There are more threads on LEDs than any one person can take in.

With regard to LED's I am still in the toddler stage, I get a lot of information from my friends, some stuck with LEDs some when back to MH. If not for the heat/electricity bill you can not beat MH, they are solid for coloration and growth.

As for my tank I was out of the hobby for almost a year, one day a tank, my tank of choice showed up on my door step, a complete and wonderful surprise and gift. Since that time I have jumped back in, it's been pure joy. A lot of people motivated me and showed me tremendous generosity.

8. Click Here!

9. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Cheryl is living by the creed.If you can't smother them with love?Blast them with radiation.:p:confused::confused::confused:o_O

11. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I can definitely tell by your thread that you're having a blast, Cheryl! I'm happy to see how much you're enjoying the process! I can't stop reading it. It made me forget that I need LED's or something.

Nice and affordable. Will definitely weight in my options with the 52's, Radions or ATI... I'm starting to consider the ATI, but I would have to wait quite a bit for it.

Anyone out there that would like to share their experience with the ATI hybrids?

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  12. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Sounds about right. I'm catching up on her thread. Talking about using both and figuring out the mounting of the lights :) So much fun! It's good to see you here, Vinny.

I've been looking at the Giesemann Aurora-Hybrid, but I was unable to find the type of LED's they use. This one is priced within range for a 48" unit, but I would like to know if they're good or crappy LED's.
    EDIT: found it! 5X CREE X SERIES. It would be nice if they had the xpe-g2 or xp-e.

Suddently the radions don't look as expensive anymore..

On the other hand, I'm also looking at the ATI2609 hybrid as well... but the price is very intimidating. Quick everyone!! Talk me out of it!!

Or give me one excellent reason (excuse) to spend 1400+ on a fixture that my wife will buy!! :p

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015