leaving scooter blenny in main tank

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by schassler, Nov 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schassler

schassler Plankton

It looks like a have a bad case of ich in my tank,i do not think it is velvet but not 100% sure. i have lost my royal gramma and jawfish but my 2 percula are alive but seem to be fighting it and my blenny show no signs of infection. I am waiting for my hospital tank to finish cycling to move my clown fish.My main tank also has live rock 3 shrimp, crabs and a bubble anemone so I can not treat the main tank. My question is can I leave the blenny in the tank while I leave the main tank for 8 weeks for the ich or velvet to die off or should I also move the blenny to the hospital tank?

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Unfortunately to truly get rid of ich you have to move all the fish. Even though your blenny may not show signs of ich it can still be infected and play host to the disease while it's in it's fish born stage.

4. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

+1. BTW, you don't need to cycle your hospital tank, considering that you will be doing large water changes fairly regularly. Even if you think it is cycled, if you add all your fish at once you will overload the biofilter and just need to do large water changes to compensate. So I would suggest to get started with the process, and just monitor ammonia and nitrite in your HT and be prepared for significant water changes every couple of days.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

No...your "blenny" is a dragonette and any kind of treatment that you give to your other fish may very well kill it. Dragonettes do not get ich so leave it in the main tank.

6. Beautemps

Beautemps Bristle Worm

What about Red Mandarin? I have the same problem than schassler. Can I leave it in my DT?

7. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

From everything I've found on the internet dragonettes can harbor ich though they rarely get it. The big problem with them is they are too sensitive to be treated with most ich treatments. Here is a good page about the subject:

CryptBlensGobs

Just for the record though I treated my scooter blenny with the nasty old green stuff nobody uses anymore.