Leather toadstool placement

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by rogerstammy, Mar 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rogerstammy

rogerstammy Peppermint Shrimp

Yet another question from me. Where is the best place to put my toadstool leather? I have a 15g high. It is 24" tall. My lights are 150w 14000k I have the coralife clamp on tank light.

Let me know if you need more info....

2. Click Here!

3. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

moderate lighting is fine for leather toadstool corals.. however, you should slowly acclimate the coral to higher light if you do decide to put it towards the top end of the tank by starting it on the sandbed first.. and you need a moderate to high water flow for this coral since it tends to mold and shed layers.. if you place it at a spot with no water flow, then the coral will start retracting.. by placing it in too much light right away might give it a few burns so try to avoid that, good luck and have fun!:)

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

with those wattage lights and that depth of the tank, I would put them on the bottom or the bottom fourth(I divided in fourths:hehe:), serious.

5. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

Start low workin your way up the rock scape so it will get used to the light... heres a pic of my old tank set up with a Leather litteraly about 4-5inch from a 150MH... It was a sponge for light...!!!

[​IMG]

Good Luck..!!!

6. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Definitely adjust it slowly. I burned mine in a spot when I switched to T5s prom PCs. I have it in the top 3rd of the tank and it loves the brighter light. The tentacles are about 1 1/2 inches long now. Under PCs the tentacles got no longer than 1/2 inch.

7. rogerstammy

That looks awesome!!! I can not wait till my leathers get that big!!! I have one with green sprouts and one with flesh colored sprouts. I'll post some pictures. They are in a different place now, I lowered them and will gradually bring them up.

8. Click Here!

9. rogerstammy

10. rogerstammy

fish322f.jpg

Here is a better picture, I know there is algae on that rock. I have been working on removing it.