lawnmower blenny with white fin spots!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by swank1234, Apr 22, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. swank1234

swank1234 Astrea Snail

GAWK! Never noticed anything during quarintine. This guy has been in my tank for 3 months and I noticed something on his tail about 2 days ago but it looked like one of those teeny tiny snails so I let it go and would just keep an eye on it. He didnt really come out much yesterday. I noticed today it has grown and looks like it has spread from his tail fin to the one on top also. (there is no white on his front fins, that is coraline algea you see in the photo). No other fish is exibiting any spots. (but I plan to just treat them all if possible.)

There is no coral in my tank, it is pretty much fish,CUC, live rock and sand, and one rock anemone. What in the world is wrong with this lawnmower blenny and what do I do to treat him??
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Baraspatch

Baraspatch Astrea Snail

Just a guess, but it seems to me like it's lymphocyctis virus (a bacterial infection). It induces grayish white clumps to form on the fins and gills. Treatment rarely works and the best way for him to recover is to provide optimal water conditions and allow his own immune system to deal with the infection. However, this disease can be confused with others so here is a really good site that covers just about anything your fish could get :)

Marine Fish Diseases and Parasites

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I agree it definitely does not look like Ich.Fin deterioration and bacterial infections can be brought on by poor diet.Lawnmowers need lots of green algae to remain healthy.I would try feeding it some Nori and some foods containing marine algae's.Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I agree.

Moved to----Fish Diseases.

I bet your blenny would be happier if he could see through the glass.