Lawnmower Blenny Commited Suicide

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Brandi's Ocean, Feb 7, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brandi's Ocean

Brandi's Ocean Plankton

Is it normal for sick fishes to commit suicide? My poor fish with no tail jumped out of the tank and died under the stand. We do have a cover on it, but he jumped from the area where all the equipment is.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

We would call that carpet diving.
    Being that a lawnmower blenny is not known to jump I would think something really scared it.

Sorry for your loss.

4. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

Sorry to here that. I had a snowflake for 8 months before he took the plunge.

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Sorry for your loss. I had a fire fish that i thought just died...then a couple of months later I found a little fish crisp behind the tank. More recently a cleaner shrimp walked the plank...

6. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

sorry about your loss , :-[ cmon :)

7. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

hi

hi,
    I have a Large Gobi that don't like my LB but he hasn't chased him so far, If he's missing his tail maybe there's a nipper in your tank, I know mine are real jumpy in the morning when they are a sleep.
    Sorry for your loss.
    Doug

8. Click Here!

9. newton27

newton27 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have a lawnmower blenny that appears to be getting really skinny. Is there another food they will eat? I see him scraping the algae off the walls, there is plenty of it...could someone suggest something? Thanks, have a good weekend!

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Hey Newton, according to a book, they eat vegetable matter. Marine algae and blue/green alga(spirulina) Does best if a crop of microalgae is present in the aquarium. By the way, microalgae is its natural source of food. I hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Have you tried rubberbanding dried seaweed to a piece of rock and dropping it near where he hangs out?

1 person likes this.
  12. newton27

newton27 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Yes amcarrig, I have. I never see him even glance at it...I think I figured out what it could be. I had cut my "daylight" lamps to 4 hours of light a day, to control some hair algae, went back to 6.5 hours now and already I see him eating more from the surface of the live rocks. Before he would only go to the back glass, I still have yet to see him touch the sides (left & right) glass, where there is a nice coat of the surface type of algae and not the hairstuff. Only been a couple of days and he has some belly now. I also went and picked up some more blue and red legged hermits to help with my GHA problem. Thanks for the advice though, always taken, much appreciated.