Latest Shots of Acropora Killer - Help Me ID

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by justonwo, Oct 4, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

The original creature that was damaging my acro lokani came back. It seems to advance very quickly on the coral flesh and destroy whatever it's attached to. This time, I was able to peel it carefully off the surface of the acro and take a 16x photo with a magnifying glass. After photographing it, I rubbed it between my fingers to get a feel for the texture. After rolling it around, I was basically left with what felt like very fine sand. It's similar to a sponge in a way. Hopefully, these photos will help.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Hi all, anyone have any idea what this stuff might be? I pulled it off the acro, and it's gone away as usual. I suspect it'll be back at some point, however.

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Possibly a flatworm

scajeo likes this.
  5. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

I took this off lionfish lair. Closest thing I could find. [​IMG]

DSC reef likes this.
  6. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Hmmm, the problem is that it doesn't really seem to move. It's more like it's growing on the coral. Until you rip it off, then it goes away, along with the damage. And the body is really fragile.

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Not sure, my suggestion is do some research and take pics of what you find on the coral.

cody3819 likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

The best pics I could get of the material still before removal from the coral can be found earlier in the thread. I've done significant web research, including contacting some experts in the field, but so far I've come up short. The unwanted creature/thing/substance always emanates from the same spot below the coral, so perhaps the best thing to do is simply plug up that area with epoxy putty.