Latest Shots of Acropora Killer - Help Me ID

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by justonwo, Oct 4, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

I followed the directions and started with a full dose. I'm about 25 minutes in and I see there is more activity among the flatworms, but no deaths so far. My brittle star has curled up into a tiny ball, however. Per the instructions, I will add another 50% dose at the 30 minute mark if no deaths are observed.

2. Click Here!

3. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Well, I didn't see a whole lot of die-off. I see a handful of dead flatworms in the water column, but there are still some hanging out in various places throughout the tank. I've done a 1.5 x dose so far. And I put the activated carbon in place just in case there's die off and it's just hard see. I also turned my UV sterilizer on. We'll see how things go.

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I found for the red planaria a 1 drop per system gallon works fine. If you saw some dead bodies as described do another dose for a few more weeks.(once a week) Most likely there are eggs. If you don't you may end up doing it all over again from the start. If you only have a few dead bodies and notice the corals take it just fine you probably don't need to do all the extra carbon. Sounds like good news for you.

5. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Av8, do you mean do another dose IN a few weeks? Or do you mean on an ongoing basis for the next few weeks?

I'm about 3.5 hours in, and it would appear the vast majority of the flatworms are dead. I have a hard time finding any and those that are still around aren't really moving. I did not experience any major concentrated die-off of flatworms - certainly nothing where I would have been able to siphon them off in any meaningful way. I think perhaps I was able to catch them before the populations became large enough to generate significant toxins from die-off.

As far as I can tell, the coral and fish are completely unaffected. At least as I type this message . . . if I still don't see any issues tomorrow, I'm going to remove the carbon.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  6. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

The morning after and no casualties whatsoever. All fish and coral look happy, though my lokani is still suffering from the damage wrought by the flatworms. Part of the flesh near the base has turned green and now appears to be flaking off.

There are still a few flatworms lingering around, and I pulled some more of what I thought was an egg sack off my lokani yesterday. I'm nearly certain that's what it was because hundreds of tiny little specs poured out of it when I tugged it away from the coral. I guess I will need to wait a week or so for the next wave of flatworms, and then I'll perform another treatment.

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Yeah, Just keep a close eye on things. If you see any in a few weeks you'll know some eggs survived. The main thing is don't let the population get too big.

8. Click Here!

9. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Thanks, AV8. I appreciate the help. I see some new ones today, though only a handful. I will probably do another dose in a few days. It seems I am well below the threshold of generating a bunch of toxic goo, which is really good news.

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

You may want to get another opinion on what flatworm you have. I never had any survive a treatment.. (that I noticed) it took weeks for them to grow to adults.. or I just missed them.
    The AEFW can survive flatworm exit. That's a whole nuther ballgame.
    Do you have any coral dips?

11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Definitely not AEFW; some type of acoel (which is also why FWE worked).

Corailline likes this.
  12. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Thanks evolved. That was my thinking as well. I don't see the kind of damage to my acro that is consistent with AEFWs anyway. Someone on another forum is suggesting high Mg levels or proximity to the acans may be to blame.