Latest Shots of Acropora Killer - Help Me ID

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by justonwo, Oct 4, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I thought the fuzzy thing in the 2nd pic looks like a nudibranch. MEN's

2. Click Here!

3. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

I think the fuzzy white thing is an egg sack. You can see little white specs inside. I had always assumed they were sand grains from sand getting stirred up in the tank. I ordered flatworm exit and some activated carbon. Hopefully, that will solve my problem. The white stuff keeps advancing. It's definitely not a nudibranch, Todd, as it forms a translucent tube. Very egg sack looking. It's really chewing up the base of my beloved Lokani, but these are the hard lessons every aquarist must learn, I suppose. Without having to deal with problems like this, it's hard to really internalize the lessons of tank ownership - I think. So I'm looking at the positive. Hopefully, I can create a very healthy environment for my corals with minimal collateral damage.

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Besides, MENs eat montipora ;)

5. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Hmmm . . . looks like they are probably acropora eating of some variety. I noticed an area where they are eating the flesh off. The coral also seems to be turning a pale green around the edges of the base. Ugh.

6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Not sure what size tank you have but about any canister with a pump on it will function as good as the next. I've owned the aquavia and Bulk Reef supply and much prefer the BRS version. Really it's just a cylinder with a pump.

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I'm 95% sure that first photo was red planaria.. I mis ided them myself and did coral dips for a few months thinking I had AEFW. Corals had damage that looked like eaten areas. You mention some sort of bugs.. were you talking about the creatures in the photos or something else? Reason I ask is I had red bugs at about the same time and the do eat corals. But the red planaria did seem to spend time on my corals with killed spots and then they like to lay eggs on the spots. I even bought a microscope to identify what I had. Ya never know it's quite possible you have both. But would need to see a pic. Take turkey baster and blow all your corals and see if anything floats off into water column. Catch it and take a pic.

8. Click Here!

9. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

I sucked one out onto a clear plastic plate and used a 16x magnifying glass and my iPhone to capture the best photo I could. It's very difficult to see, even with the high magnification. It looks brownish, possibly with spots, possibly like the flatworm I found on the acro frag I ordered (now dead).

[​IMG]

For reference, this is the flatworm I found on a frag I recently ordered. I thought I had got all of them with Coral Rx. This one was also much bigger than the flatworms I see now.

[​IMG]

10. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Anyone have any idea if these flatworms are acropora eating?

11. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Here are some more photos. They are basically everywhere now. Wow, they multiplied FAST. I kinda mangled one of them getting it off the rock, but the other one is fully intact. Any ideas guys?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid