Laser pointer to kill aiptasia.....

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by rc_mcwaters3, Mar 31, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

2. Click Here!

3. Josh1215

Josh1215 Astrea Snail

Has anyone used aptasia-x? Does it work? is it truly reef safe?
    Does it come with those extension pieces to spray directly into the aptasia?

4. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Price?? $$ Not something you would want to use as a cat toy, or worse, have your kids get into.

5. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I bought a bottle, it does come with the two applicator tips, straight and bent. It does work* and so far, my reef is safe.

*You saw that little asterisk didn't you?
    It works if you can get the aiptasia to suck the aiptasia-x into the mouth and then cover up the entire beast when it shrinks down. For me it has a ~75% success rate, when it doesn't work, I attack one and three more will grow back in it's place. So, it's not perfect, but it can work.

6. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

The Lasers are somewhere between 150-250 depending on how or what you buy, but it would be cool to try.

I have used peroxide for GHA but never thought to try it on aiptasia

7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Unfortunately I have to say that Aiptasia X disappointed me for the last time. The ones I treated last weekend are puffing up and coming right back. It was a pretty good clean application too!! Right on the oral disk and then all on them to the point they end up completely covered.

Like I said, last time :beatnik2:

DSC reef likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

I had the same experience.

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I have a 3w laser I got for other things like clove polyps. It does work but probably a waste of money. I once loaned mine to a reefer that had a very deep tank so he could not reach stuff at the bottom. So it might work on some spots. The problem is stuff just keeps popping up like whack-a-mole.
    Keep in mind these lasers are very dangerous. Lasers this powerful don't even have to hit you directly in the eye to cause damage. You can get eye damage by simple looking at the spot. Always wear the glasses and make sure the fish are not around. No dogs , cats or kids in the room.
    I was flying in Mexico a couple years back and got lasered. I've been hit a few times but this particular time my First Officer got hit square in the retina and burned a hole in his retina. Two years later he still wears a special pair of glasses with one big lens.

11. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

Seems Like a bad idea to mess with aircraft.... some of the A-10s here have software that target where it came from and, well, there guns and resources are bigger than mine. Not to mention what type of turd would do that crap, and we wonder why we cant have cool stuff.

But back to topic, I found a person on a local forum that has used a 4 watt home built one to kill snails, shrimp, and majo/Aiptasia. But it is a dangerous task for anyone to be in the room with safety gear on so I cant imagine doing it with dogs and kids running around.

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Mixing up Kalwasser, thick with some water, small syringe, needle or not, shoot right on it and cover it up some too. ONly about 1-3cc's/ml's of it. I've had less than a handfull of aptasia- (thank God), and the few I've had, this has worked for me, complete kill. FWIW