Larger drain than return pump question

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by zesty, Aug 28, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Hi y'all. I'm currently trying to get all my equipment picked out before I buy anything.
    This is one of the last things that I think I need before I am ready to start.

I'm going for something like a 93 cube, non-RR. I am going to plumb it up to my sump behind the wall in the sump room. So, the only things that I was getting ready for this upgrade was the front half of the tank. My skimmer should be big enough for the added volume.

So, I was looking at the glassholes.com site and the two drains I was looking at where the 700 GPH & 1500 GPH. I like the 1500 version because it has 2 drains, better than one. However, my return pump is a mag9.5, which tops out at 950 GPH (per the specs). Currently I'm draining thru a eshopps PF800, which is spec'd at 800 GPH. So currently my return is throttled down to match the drain rate. That's how I understood it should work.

Ok, onto the point. So, can I hook up the GH 1500 drain and still run my mag9.5 return? Can the drain be throttled instead of the return? Is there another way?

Thanks!
    Matt

2. Click Here!

3. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

I would not throttle the drain - go with the 1500 and let it drain wide open.

zesty likes this.
  4. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

You wont hurt running less water thru a larger rated drain. easier to make silent in my opinion. I have issue currently with my 1" drain and the Durso i came with. I cannot get my DC6000 past #2 speed or the durso gurgles like crazy. ive tried tuning and everything. I wish I had a 1 1/2" drain.

zesty likes this.
  5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

You always want your overflow to be larger than your return so you never outrun the overflow and cause a flood or run the pump dry.
    It is the pump that will determine how much the overflow sends down to the sump so an overflow slightly larger than the return is no problem and as already mentioned, you don't want to restrict the overflow, only the discharge side of the return pump if needed to fine tune flows and sump velocity.

Billme and zesty like this.
  6. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

ok, awesome! Thank you always helpful forum friends!

I have read many of times the drain should never be throttled. That led me to assume I would need a bigger pump than my drain, so I could have the throttle option on the return pump. Now, I get it though. If my drain is faster than my return, the return is all that matters. Duh, why does that not just pop into my brain... But again, that's why I love this place!

ok, I am good, 1500 it is!

(Hopefully a new build thread will be coming)

7. Kadoogen

Kadoogen Flamingo Tongue

I have a 1.5inch durso drain. it can tolerate around 2k GPH i have it throttled down to match my return of around 1200GPH. With a throttled drain pipe it'll be much quieter.

8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

If you have a single drain and are restricting it you are asking for a flood. Never ever restrict the overflow unless you have two overflows and are using one as primary and one secondary. You adjust the flow with the return pump and with the height of your overflow box and standpipe configuration to make it quiet. Things like an airline stuck down in the standpipe cap make a world of difference with sound and with flow when you hit that magic sweet spot.

Billme likes this.
  10. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

AZD, in this situation; where I'm going from one drain to two, what would you do with the second drain? My sump is a drain/skimmer --> Fuge --> return section. Here,s a picture for better idea.
    [​IMG]

I know I don't need the ball valve on the drain. It's never been used, except for when I hang a filter sock on there! haha!

But, the drain is coming from a eshopps PF800, thru the wall and then the rest...

Well, that's the old, the new would be a glassholes kit in the center of the back of the cube. So, if you have anything that would make a second drain being added easier, I'm all ears!
    Thank you!

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Matt, you should look into using my 1.5", intank overflow drain that I used for years on my 125. It will work as good or better than that box drain thing. Mine can be modified to no end, for only a few $.

My DIY drain would be free to you as well. Win win.

And I'm wondering Matt, you must already have a tank in mind.
    o/w, Why on earth would you be using a system like you mentioned?
    I know I used one for years and managed to avoid flooding my Family Room;
    but if you can get away fronm the 'siphon style' OF that has a potential to fail- you gotta do it.
    ONe of my two drains is throttled down to keep siphon, whilst the over handles the rest and the entire flow if the siphon stops up completly and that side should fail.
    But, it a Power out, (unlike my DIY HOB system) lit looses it's siphon and then regains it when the power is on- because it doesn't have to get it up and over the DT side- it's drilled.

I would gladly help you drill a new cube, and BF will lend you the hole bit for free.

What'd'ya say?

LMK,
    Todd

** EDIT- My Apologies to Matt, et. al. I just spoke with Matt via phone, and I pretty much jumped to assumptions and now realize he never intended to use the over the side diphon style returns, but rather intends to drill.

It'll be great when you get your nice reef you have going on a bigger footprint,
    and I'm happy to help any sway I can along the way!

Go Matt go!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014