Large images on site and script to resize

Discussion in '3reef Forum News & Information' started by Matt Rogers, Mar 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hi all -
    In the past month there has been a lot of code clean up around here. During this process, some things were dinged and had to be rebuilt. One of which was the large image resize script.

This weekend a fix was put in place for Chrome browser users such as myself. It appears to working for me - so I think we have our browsers covered and this script should now be fully-functional again. Please let us know if it does not work for you.

THAT SAID, this is a gentle nudge to those of you posting images - if at all possible, please keep these images to 800px wide or less. Sometimes I see people posting images that are 3000px wide! These images take a long time to download and make me resistant to highlight a cool post on homepage if it contains such images.

You can resize images quickly and re-save them prior to posting using a lot of different software - even Windows 'Paint' which comes with all PCs.

3reef's Photo Tool link in the right nav will also do this for you.

Image Display Options:

If all this image display stuff drives you crazy and you just want to read the posts without waiting for all the images, 3reef has an option that can help you.

Go to UserCP >> Edit Options

There you will find:

<fieldset class="fieldset"><legend>Visible Post Elements</legend> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="3" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td>You have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.</td> </tr> <tr> <td> <label for="cb_showsignatures"><input name="options[showsignatures]" value="1" id="cb_showsignatures" checked="checked" type="checkbox">Show Signatures</label><input name="set_options[showsignatures]" value="1" type="hidden">
    <label for="cb_showavatars"><input name="options[showavatars]" value="1" id="cb_showavatars" checked="checked" type="checkbox">Show Avatars</label><input name="set_options[showavatars]" value="1" type="hidden">
    <label for="cb_showimages"><input name="options[showimages]" value="1" id="cb_showimages" checked="checked" type="checkbox">Show Images (including attached images and images in code)</label>
    </td></tr></tbody></table></fieldset>

<fieldset class="fieldset"><legend>Lofi Mode</legend> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="3" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td>Choose Yes to enable Lofi Mode. When enabled, all images in forum posts will be displayed as hyperlinks.</td> </tr> <tr> <td> <table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td valign="top"><label for="rb_cpf_field7_1"><input name="userfield[field7]" value="1" id="rb_cpf_field7_1" type="radio">Yes</label></td><td valign="top"><label for="rb_cpf_field7_2"><input name="userfield[field7]" value="2" id="rb_cpf_field7_2" checked="checked" type="radio">No</label></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></fieldset>

All these images will help in this regard and dramatically speed up thread display for reading.

FYI!

matt

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

hmm.. jury still out on the Chrome browser - let's call it a work in progress... working better but I think I still see misses..

4. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Thanks for this fix, was bugging me LOL.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

So it's fixed for you? What browser are you using?

6. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Well, I thought it was fixed, till after I posted this and ran across it in a couple other threads! LOL

I'm using Firefox.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Ugh. :p
    Ok I will look into more when I have time. Sorry about that.

8. Click Here!

9. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Matt,

just an FYI, when XP was released, Miicrosoft released a toy called Resizing Powertoy.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx. Once installed, simply right click on any image on the computer and select resize. It wil give you the option of 4 sizes, and if you click advanced, it allows you to save a new image or overwrite the existing. I choose the latter as for what I do, that usually works good. I save them at 1366x 768. keep in mind, this was ONLY FOR XP!!!!

now, do a search for Resizing Powertoy CLONE and you will get one that is compatible for Vista and Windows 7! Image Resizer for Windows

while I make NO guarantees on these, I have found them to work 100% of the time and no bugs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Sorry for the false alarm, Matt! :(

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

12. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Im using IE

and can see a zapper on a round wooden coffee table on 1st post of that thread

Steve