lake malawi baby breeding in my 55gal!

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by bje, Dec 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

my cichlid tank has been up for a about a year and a half now and i all of a sudden have crazy breeding going on. i have 3 baby fish i confirmed a week ago that are identical to my other mbunas and i have two baby fish just found now that are black/white that do not match any other fish in the tank.

its crazy to me that they're willing to reproduce in there considering how aggressive they all are towards one another. i have 13 lake malawi cichlids in a 55gal tank. its REALLY neat watching these little fish duck and hide and fly around the tank in search of food. ive never had a cichlid that was a 1/4" in length lol.

guess i need to consider another tank now. i wont be able to have that many fish in a 55gal, or i need to sell them.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Date much?:laugh4:

1 person likes this.
  4. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

lmfao

1 person likes this.
  5. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

Congrats on the new additions! hmmmm ... just curious - did you happen to be playing some Barry White or Marvin Gaye tunes recently? ;D

Seriously - that is really awesome - shows the success of your tank, although you are right in thinking about either a bigger tank or finding some homes for the wee ones. Maybe you could set something temporary up to keep the younguns safe in the meantime before they become lunch.

Good luck!

6. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

could be the 'relaxation' candles i have burning in the same room that i got for christmas lol

7. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

have a friend tearing down a 75gal tank. might buy it from him for the cichlids. that frees up my 55gal for a .... frag tank, or maybe a aggressive FOWLR plumbed into my 75gal mixed reef? har... project central in my house

8. Click Here!

9. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

heres a few pics now that they're a bit bigger i could catch em on camera.... the second pic that fish is about 1/4" long at the moment. there are two of each type so far...

Attached Files:

10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Awww congrats on the babies!! What fun! They are so cute (and pretty!).

11. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

thanks ;) i wish i could get a pic of the black/white baby it just wont get into focus!

12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I love cichlids. They are so beautiful. I look forward to more baby pictures!