Kitty Litter refugium Q's....

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by CamoCreatures, Nov 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

The mud is full of trace minerals etc. that will slowly and naturally leach into the water, eliminating the need to dose extra trace elements other than those provided by a regular waterchange.
    The mangroves seem to dig it too :p

2. Click Here!

3. mike007

mike007 Sea Dragon

Does it have to be replaced like MM? What kind of sand should be put over it?

4. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

MM recommends replacing half the mud every year after the first full year, as far as I know thats excelent marketing advice at $45 for 5lbs (smallest available size) makes for great repeat sales :)
    Most dont change anything out though I can see some benefits to swapping out a few scoops every few years to help replenish anything that was leached out but there is no thing saying you have to.

5. mike007

mike007 Sea Dragon

Thanks Telgar, any idea what kind of sand is best to use to cover it? live, dead an then seed? :-/

6. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

anything will work, the finer the better. I used some extra sand I had left from filling my DT from MarcoRocks.com

7. GotCrabs?

GotCrabs? Plankton

Most kitty litter is made out of bentonite. Now seeing how it is mined and processed and knowing what bentonite ponds look like. How is it your tank does not become cloudy? It breaks down rapidly in water.

8. Click Here!

9. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

if you read the whole thread they mentioned not to use the bentonite clay based litter. instead use the cheapest 100% clay uncented litter - Walmart sells a brand in a red bag for about $2 a 15lbs bag

10. GotCrabs?

GotCrabs? Plankton

Yep I did, but even regular kitty litter is made from it. Most of it is made by one company American Colloid. Not arguing with you just saying...

11. GotCrabs?

GotCrabs? Plankton

But I do know it bentonite is full of minerals and trace elements. And absorbs water like a mother. the diatomite would be great too didnt know they made kitty litter out of it though.:)

12. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

lol, no argument from me, I'm no expert on the kitty litter :)
    just passing along what i've learned from others that I have come to trust.