Kill it or add it live? (Update ? 3/10/13)

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by diverdan, Feb 20, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Rock has since been rinsed off and is sitting outside and drying. Suppose to be in the mid 60s this week and partly sunny so that will be ok for the time being. Now it's just got to sit out and dry and it will be tank ready. Thanks for all the help and advise. Just a waiting game now.

2. Click Here!

3. diverdan

Hey everyone. So I am getting ready to do a wc and I was thinking that I should use some of the water to begin a quick cycle of the nuked rock. By quick I would just like to put it in tank water for a week to two weeks. Would this be better than just putting the rock into the DT without putting in saltwater?

4. clifgrmi24

clifgrmi24 Plankton

tap water washing

I was actually going to start a new thread to ask about this but since you mentioned it here. I'm somewhat new and I'm wondering if it is ok to wash everything with tap? From the hydrometer to the filter media? Pippettes? Anything that you wouldn't want to wash with tap? It's rather cumbersome to keep washing everything in ro/di since I have to buy it in buckets.

Thanks

5. diverdan

You don't want to wash anything that will have beneficial bacteria in tap water. ie. lr, sand or filter media that has bacteria that you want to keep alive. Everything else is fine to rinse in tap. I have and haven't ha any problems. You just don't want to dump tap water as top off.

So should I put the nuked rock in wc tank water?

6. diverdan

So I finished my water change and added the nuked rock to a tub of water change water. My question was will this help jump start the cycle process to add the rock? I was initially just goin to add the rock dry but with the organisms dead inside the rock I wanted to get a jump start to minimize any mini cycle that might occur by just adding it. What are your thought on this.

7. diverdan

I forgot to mention that I added a power head and a heater to the tub with the rock as well.

8. Click Here!

9. diverdan

Going on day 3 with the wc water. Looking for some advise. Please help me out on what you would do. Thanks. Last 2 posts for more information.
    Thank you.

10. diverdan

11. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

At this point I would add it. You could always test the water for ammonia just to see if there is any. If you nuked it, dried it out, and are now running some of you tank water for the last 3 days with circulation and a heater Id say your good.

12. diverdan

Thank you, that is what I was thinking I just wasn't sure. I just wanted other opinions. Thank you again.