Kill it or add it live? (Update ? 3/10/13)

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by diverdan, Feb 20, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Thanks for your help. I am going to go with the nuke method. Less chance of issues IMO.

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

What ever you decide, sounds like you do put some good thought in to things,

I'm sure things will turn out just fine!

Keep on Reefing!

4. diverdan

Thank you. I've made my mistakes in this hobby. Most mistakes came from moving to quick and not thinking things through. I have put a lot of time into my current system to throw it all away with someone else's problem on their lr. Sometimes just posting and talking it out with others advise you come to a good conclusion that is best for the individuals specific setup. I do appreciate your help Todd.

I will continue to keep reefing, you do the same.

2 people like this.
  5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Just to pass along someone had the input on this and suggested putting LR into a batch of high salinity water and that this will usually get rid of any bad critters..they will come out with the high salinity....I think they said somewhere around 1.031 or so...I thought that sounded like a good idea. You can then remove any unwanted algae on it with peroxide and then in the tank it can go......adding 30 lbs. of rock to that big of display is really not a lot and it should be ok....just some additional info. I've learned on the forum and wanted to pass along :)

1 person likes this.
  6. diverdan

I apologize for missing that. The rock has not been in water for some time now because I had planned to nuke it. I don't know much about using peroxide. I will look into higher salinity to rid live rock of pests. Thank you for the information.
    The rock has been out of water for about 4 hrs now in a covered tub and the weather is in the 50s so would I be ok to put it back in saltwater with minimal die off?

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

That's a hard question. I would think there would be some die off but 4 hours isn't a really long time to be out of water- how does the rock smell? If it's pretty smelly that should tell you about how much die off there is or will be when you put it back in saltwater....I remember it was Greg or Renee' from the lionfish lair that gave the hypersalinity recommendation for getting rid of critters.....

8. Click Here!

9. diverdan

I should have asked them, I just went ahead and started nuking them. I did a lot of thinking and just didn't want to take any chances. I am on day 2 of them sitting in bleach. I will rinse them and put them in freahwater tomorrow. Thank you for your help.

10. Rbs68cgr

Rbs68cgr Plankton

Unwanted hitchhiker a can be a massive pia. I was working on a tank a few years ago & kept hearing a ticking noise from the tank. It seemed at some point in time we picked up a mantis shrimp in a coral. Had to isolate the noise from where he was and take the tank half way down to get to the rock he was burrowing in. I just used a needle and injected a very high dose of calcium in the hole. Of corse with the rock out of the tank.

11. rgoedhart

rgoedhart Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

12. diverdan

Nuked rock getting a baking soda bath. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362156836.658025.jpg