KILL CYANO!?! week 5 and it's getting irratating

Discussion in 'Algae' started by tgood, Sep 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tgood115

tgood115 Plankton

more pics

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

hopefully those pics i posted help determine the issue...

hopefully those pics i posted help determine the issue...

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I do not see a lot of cynobacteria in those pictures. I see some nusience green algae possible some diatoms. Cynobacteria takes on more of a matting appearence to me. You can usually remove it in sheets manually or with a turkey baster, it may appear slimmy as well . I would look at a build up of detritus in areas of the tank and sump. Good news though I do not see dinoflagellates unless you just cleaned and vacumed the system. The true test is ID made with a microscope.

5. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

Perhaps I missed this in the thread but the spectrum of those bulbs will increase the growth of nuisance algae. That could be a main contributor to the problem of algae growth. I would look into 10k bulbs, or consider the actinics again or a combination of both for the display tank, and use 6,500k in your sump. Of course i agree the first step is fixing the salinity so you can keep a clean up crew alive in that tank because the pictures make it look like a build up of detritus. After the salinity is stable as others have stated leave the lights off since there are no corals and let a clean up crew and your water changes get the problem under control.
    oh and I agree, change your carbon too