KILL CYANO!?! week 5 and it's getting irratating

Discussion in 'Algae' started by tgood, Sep 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

bingo.

It sounds to me like you did too much too soon with this upgrade. Just keep doing what your doing. I'd turn the MH's back on, get your photo routine established to not screw that up, and wait it out.

Also, I don't really understand your lighting setup. So you have 2 MH's with 2 daylight supplements instead of actinics? Seems strange unless your tank was REALLY blue, but maybe i'm just crazy.

Lastly, don't panic and try to change things too fast. Go slow, let it grow, etc.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The low salinity is why you can not keep corals and inverts. It should be 1.024 to 1.026 for those creatures. Carbon loses its effectiveness after 2 to 4 weeks because the pores get filled and can not adsorb anything.

4. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Might also be because there are tannins in your water column that are no longer being adsorbed by the 2-3 month old carbon.

5. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

how do you test your salinity? I had problems with my snails, shrimp and coral dieing because my salinity was too high and i didn't know because of a faulty hydrometer.

6. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Refractometer. I bought mine on eBay for about $25. May not be scientific research grade, but it works well enough for me.

7. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I apologize, most of the time when people start posts off and say something like "Week 5" they are talking about the 5th week of a cycle.

Dude, first off your Salinity is way to low for even the most hearty Snail and crustaceans. While its not quite low enough to be considered hypo-salinity it is low enough to be extremely detrimental to the health of any marine organism's. It should be at least 1.024, most fish will do OK in 1.019 but there is no way your ever going to keep a Snail, Crab or Coral alive in that water.

Also as has been said carbon is good for 2 to 3 weeks at most, after that it starts leaching what it has already collected back into the water and eventually just turns into a sewer, which is most likely why your having the Cyano problems. It could also have something to do with the loss of your fish also.

Not that I think it has anything to do with copper but contrary to some belief, CARBON WILL NOT REMOVE COPPER, It can only be removed by either doing water changes or by using Cuprisorb by Seachem or by using E.D.T.A. (Ethylene Diamine Tetra Acidic Acid) to chelate it out of the water. Even that will not remove it from the rocks, the only safe way to do that is to replace them.

8. Click Here!

9. K3rack

K3rack Peppermint Shrimp

Another thing to check is if you recently used chemicals near the tank. I remember seeing a post about fumes from painting in a nearby room caused a disaster in their tank. If you painted anything, sprayed febreeze or something of that nature there's a chance it might be the culprit.

I hope you figure it out thought, that really sucks man.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

To the OP

Can you please post a picture?

Have you ruled out dinoflagellates ?

11. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Well, are you sure? I've found dozens of links that suggest otherwise. Here's one:

FA165/FA165: Use of Copper in Marine Aquaculture and Aquarium Systems

12. tgood115

tgood115 Plankton

here are some pics

If you look closely you can see the brown/green on the sand/rocks

Attached Files: