Kh high

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by trying it again, Dec 9, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Did you ever get your salinity confirmed? Again, those numbers seem much too high for a salinity of 1.023. Although Vinny is right, we need to know Magnesium as well.

trying it again likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. trying it again

trying it again Fire Shrimp

First time checking mag. If I did the test right , the mag level is low, below 840. I will try to get that confirmed hopefully tomorrow. Test kit used was Red Sea. I'm also confused about what's printed on the side of test kit in reference to my issue of alk being high. It states----Magnesium plays an important role in the reef aquarium. In addition to its many biological functions, it serves to prevent the excessive precipitation of calcium and bicarbonate, which lowers the calcium level and causes a drop in alkalinity.

4. trying it again

trying it again Fire Shrimp

Yep, I read results wrong . Magnesium is 1350 and after talking with the store rep , most reef keepers like the alkalinity at 8 to 12 so a not to worry if its a little high. So thanks to all , much appreciated

5. SharkBait!Hooha

SharkBait!Hooha Astrea Snail

Just to add my 2cents. The Instant Ocean hydrometer reads either lower or higher than actual results. 1.023 is really 1.025. Or is it 1.021? Sorry, I forgot - it's been awhile.

But I discovered this after I purchased a refractometer. But as long as your consistent, you should be okay.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

All hydrometers and refractometers need to be calibrated.Results will vary from one to the other even an identical brand/model.

mdbostwick likes this.