Kessils or Razor? for Softy, LPS tank.

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by SaltyClown, May 21, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

For Kessils or Maxspect Razor, what LED light do I need for a Softy, LPS tank? (I may get a few SPS) Tank is 75 gals. I’m reading that softies and LPS don’t need as powerful of lights. I’ve read that in the wild LPS are getting maybe 30 par down where they live. On my old nano I used compact fluorescents to grow SPS, LPS and softies. If I were to go with Kessils would I need the A350w, 2 of them, or 2 A150w? As for the maxspect razor, the downside I see, is it has a center light. Over my 75, that center light would be right over the center brace and well, the Razor is really wide. I hear good things on both lights. Any of you have any of these lights? If so, please share what you do and don’t like about them.
    Thank you.

2. Click Here!

3. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I got to see the Kessil's in person this past weekend as World Wide Corals came into town for my LFS Anniversary Sale. They had the 350's. Speaking with the rep, he said for show displays, they are great! He didn't care for the "tunability" of them, saying that it is just one knob, and it controls all colors...meaning you can go blue, or white. You can't turn up the whites to a certain level, and then adjust the blues to your liking. The new A360's sound like they are tunable separately, but I have not seen those in person.

The Razors looked great when they came out. I have not found one person locally running them. I looked into them when I was building my setup last year, but they were still pre-ordering, so I passed. The Razor might cast a shadow with your center brace, but only if the diodes are centered over it...if not, they will blend the shadow away. There would be no shadow with the Kessil's.

4. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Going with 2 Kessil a150w.

5. LisaP

LisaP Astrea Snail

I have those on a tank I just set up. So I can't give you any practical, coral keeping advice but I can tell you they are sooooo pretty! lol :sweethear I love the look of them and the color and they are much much cooler than the metal halides I have in another tank. Eventually I'm going to switch all my tanks to LED and so far I'm really impressed with Kessil. Good luck to you!

6. Oldreefer

Oldreefer Astrea Snail

I chose Razors

Have had Razors on a 135 for about 5 months. So far everything doing well including large Derasa on the bottom. Will soon have to do some major culling on some Hammer, Mushrooms, etc. along with 2 RTBA'S.Love them so far.

7. Vizzle1717

Vizzle1717 Coral Banded Shrimp

Im about to get two AI nanos for a 40b and from what I have seen, I can expect awesome results and an incredible control interface

8. Click Here!

9. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

I own a non-wide A350. I use it on a 24" cube and get complete coverage. If you choose Kessel, go for two A350w. That will completely cover the tank. Two non-wide A350's would leave some odd looking shadows. Two A150's would not cover a 4' long tank.

I can't comment on how good the A350 is compared to the Razor as I have not seen a Razor yet. I do love my A350 though, and the A360 addresses the lack of controllability if that is important to you. The A350/360 is a very blue light. It emits a light spectrum with very little green/yellow/red.

10. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Razor, 20in model costs the same as a Kessil a350/w but with more controllability and a better spectrum.

11. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

I've seen videos of 2 kessil a150w ocean blues covering a 75 gal. The a350 is out of my price range right now.

12. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

60 W of LED light spread out over a 4 foot tank is not much light. I have seen the lights in person. I'm sure if you hung them high enough (which would reduce light intensity even more) they could cover it, but there would be considerable shadows.

Sorry, based on your initial post I thought you were asking about the A350, so I answered.