Kessil a360we for Maxim Clam.

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by JaysLittleOcean, Jun 25, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JaysLittleOcean

JaysLittleOcean Spaghetti Worm

I just added a new small 0.5 inch Maxima Clam to me system. My aquarium dimensions are 36x36x36 and My Kessil a360we sits dead center about 5 inches of the water surface. I like the color to run at 100% to get that daytime 14K look but what intensity does everyone recommend? I don't want to shock the poor thing running it too high?

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

That much light can actually hurt a clam that small. I try to stay away from clams under 3" due to the mortality rate. I kept a 1" clam for a year then it died in 3 days time. All my other clams I never had a problem with. I would turn the light down or make sure it's not directly under it. If you notice the clam not opening or little mantle extension I'd move it

4. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

It sounds like you are saying you run the color at 100%? I assume the clam is on the bottom? The main thing is to acclimate to the intensity. You should be fine peaking intensity at about 70-80% (assuming you have a controller). After a couple weeks increase you can increase by 10% or so. I agree with DSC on the morality of small clams.

DSC reef likes this.
  5. JaysLittleOcean

Yes, I have the controller. It sitting on the sandbed (3 feet under water). I haven't fully programmed my kessil but I like the color to stay at 100% and I will play around with the intensity. I'm assuming I should feed phyto to supplement? I don't mind trying to raise the little bugger.

6. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

While you are playing around with the intensity keep in mind that the clam requires a certain amount to live. 3 feet is deep and it will take a lot of light to be adequate.

7. JaysLittleOcean

Thanks Billme. I will see what works and feed phyto to supplement my guesswork.

Billme likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Only way to know is to try. Clams are one of my favorite things in this hobby. Look up my thread called 3reef clamily and post a pic on there. I'm trying to get pics of everybody's clams on 3reef.

Billme likes this.
  10. JaysLittleOcean

DSC reef, I will definitely have to do that. I actuslly decided to not be scared and ramped my single Kessil a360we up to 80% - 85% and presto started extending her mantle nicely.

DSC reef and Billme like this.
  11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Glad to hear! I need to get another clam because my squamosa has outgrown the reef tank. I'm gonna miss it but it's been fun watching the clam grow and develop colors

12. JaysLittleOcean

Picture? How large?