Kenya Tree Not doing so well/dying

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by stook, Feb 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stook

stook Astrea Snail

Update:
    I just took some tests after doing a massive water change using reef crystals and my tap water.

Salinity: 1.025
    Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Nitrate: 2.5ppm
    pH: 7.8
    Alkalinity: 14
    Calcium: 360ppm

What bothers me is that my alkalinity is so high and my calcium and pH is low. Can anybody else post what their parameters are like using Reef Crystals and RODI water for comparison.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Did you purchase a new Alk. test kit? API kits are not the best for accuracy.Try Salifert or even better a Hanna Colorimeter.Take a sample to yourLFS.It is best to double check readings when something does not seem right before doing anything else.Also if you are going to have any chance at keeping levels stable you will need to test Mag..

4. stook

stook Astrea Snail

I'm going to save up for the Red Sea all-in-one Cal. Mag. and Alk. test kit. It's $50, which for a part-time working, full-time college student is alot (I know i'm in the wrong hobby for being broke lol). From the video on BulkReefSupply.com they lean toward the Red Sea test kits. Do you have any experience with these or am I better off going with the salifert?

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Red Sea makes pretty good kits.Saliferts are the best for Alk. but as far as accuracy you cant beat the Hanna Colorimeter.;)

6. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

How's your Tree looking?

7. stook

stook Astrea Snail

Well I've finally managed to get my nitrates down to 0 (woo!), but the Kenya doesn't seem to be fully opened. When I woke up this morning it was totally closed up, almost into a little ball. Now, this afternoon, it's looking better, but like I said it doesn't look completely happy. Maybe i'm just expecting too much out of it.

Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

Have you considered using one of these? http://www.marinedepot.com/reverse-osmosis_aquarium_pharmaceuticals-ap.html
    RODI water is the best of course but, I used one of these a long time ago when I first started salt water and it is better than nothing and affordable.

If your tree dies, let me know I have lots of it, I will give you more. I have it growing in my sump under a cheap CF bulb, my unchin carries it on his back like a trophy! My pods use it as shade during the day, one I cut up and shape like a bansi tree, it's a weed!

10. stook

stook Astrea Snail

Ha, that sounds pretty cool. I wish I could get mine to grow like that :D

That tap water filter looks really good, but does it only make DI water without the RO part? I'd rather save up for a full RODI unit and put the $50 towards a test kit with mag.