Kenya tree dying...

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by elweshomayor, Dec 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

Well i have tons of kenya tree and mine go through the same cycle. I have about i would say about 25 branches and 1 MOTHER SHIP. The MOTHER SHIP gives off quite a few a week. I just got a new branch from the mother ship(colony) about a week ago it it does the same thing. Let it be and don't disturb it. It is somewhat like an anemone. It will shrivle up to a brown color and look like a piece of broclie and slowly come back.

2. Click Here!

3. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

mine shrivels up when my flame angel is munching on it.

4. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

My main colony will retract every now and then for a few days at a time and then come back out. They need to be in a good flow area to keep their dead skin/mucus from accumulating. If it gets to the point where its frail and really looks like its decaying and has any dark/black spots it may be time to get rid of it.

5. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

If you know anyone close by who has one im sure they would be happy to frag a branch or two as they reproduce so quickly its annoying.

6. Zoban

Zoban Skunk Shrimp

If you were anywhere local I'd snip ya off some decent chunks no problem..

Just had to trim a couple back the other day. Placed em (most of the trimmings) down in my copepod tank on some LR rubble. Not sure if there is enough light for em though :(

Couple smaller pieces I glued to rock and an old snail shell in the DT ..

7. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

it still has a purple color to it.. actually when it was all expanded it looked quite pink/brown..

but now its dark purple/ pink. ISH.... and shriveled. i had it on a good flow area, even after the rock fell on it. but then after a while it just kinda came off the rock. ( it unattached by itself.)

ill post a picture of it when i get home. Before and after.

8. Click Here!

9. Pisces ll

Pisces ll Plankton

I have a new coral and it is my first one, they say is is a candy cane coral, but from the pictures I looked up, no way. Looks like a light pink Kenya tree. Are those out there?

It is not happy with the change in location, I hope I acculmaited it correctly. How long before they get happy again?

10. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

welll hope ur kenya tree survives

11. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

IME Kenya trees are very hardy, and yours is probably recuperating. Testing your ca and alk is something you should do regardless.

Post pics please :)

12. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

ummmm.... what would cal have to do with a kenya. alk might have some affect to a degree bubt not by much