Kent Tech M vs Bryopsis

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Ultraner, Jul 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Awesome results. By how much did you raise the Mg with each dosing and what was the time period from start to finish?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Ultraner

Ultraner Purple Spiny Lobster

I raised it by 50ppm though I was shooting for 100ppm per day. The math on the bottle didn't seem to work out or maybe its just not that potent a solution for raising mg.

I started at 1400ppm and then went over the next few days in this order. 1450, 1500, 1550, 1700ppm so you can see in the last day it jumped drastically by 150ppm and still I had no ill affects. The day it went from 1550 to 1700 I could see it was stressed and starting to take affect.

1 person likes this.
  4. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Are you manually removing the dead bryopsis or just letting it go? I'm just curious as I got my bottle of Tech-M in the mail and am going to do the same treatment.

5. Ultraner

I would also like to report that I have cheato in my fuge and it has not been affected one bit. Its still very green and healthy just like everything else in the tank.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  6. Ultraner

I have been leaving it for the purpose of this test to see the full results of it unhindered by me. I am skimming wetter than I usually do and am removing a good bit of gunk on a daily basis.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

They have a lot of the metals bound to sulfate ions. Pure mgso4 works ok but the formulation in Kent Tech-M really puts it down.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I would have to agree with this. I buy it in the large "Store Use Only" buckets for this reason. Other forms of Magnesium Sulfate do the job and are a heck of a lot cheaper, but there's something about Kent's that works faster. When you're selling corals for a profit, one can't have Bryopsis getting on them so it makes sense to use a more expensive product that works faster.

10. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

glad your winning the battle.
    skimming, blowing detrius off the Bryopsis, and plucking the dead stuff off the rock has been working for me :)

11. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Odd, I have a bottle of Tech M in my hand right now. Here's the ingredient list from the bottle:

De-ionized water, Magnesium chloride, Magnesium sufate.

Where are all these other ingredients coming from?

12. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

wow that's a big change from day 1 to day 5,congrats on winning the battle..looks like you fried it lol...I also use the tech-M,but only for maintaining mag..

1 person likes this.