Kent Marine C

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Robman, Mar 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I am on the very end of a battle with ick on my powder brown tang. I wanted to know if anyone uses Kent Marine C--I used it during the ick battle along with soaking all food in garlic juice and zoe. I dont know what the actual cure was, or if it was a combination of all three boosting the fishes immune system--I know I will use this combo again if the ick returns!!
    Chalk up one for the good guys!!!!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Adding vitamins and HUFA's to your food is a great way to help fish fight off ich.

The garlic doesn't actually do anything for ich. However, just like you don't feel like eating when you're sick, fish don't either. The garlic merely entices them to eat (which they need to do if they are weakened by ich).

4. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Curt, I have read that Garlic not only entices--but boosts immune also--is this not true???

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Allicin is highly unstable in a marine environment. It can help with secondary infections caused by ich but has not been proven to do anything to ich itself.

6. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

What the heck is allisin (Garlic??)

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

It says that allicin is not produced unless tissue damage occurs--am I correct??

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Yes...but it is tissue damage to the garlic clove or onion cells. Not tissue damage in a person or a fish.

11. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Correct--So if I am soaking food in pure garlic juice, how do you know if the tissue on the garlic was damaged or not---does it occur after the garlic is harvested or only as a defense when it is alive??

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

both

However, if you want the health benefits of garlic, it needs to be from fresh garlic as it breaks down quickly. It's highly unstable. That's why it is really not something that boosts immunity. It makes food taste better to both humans and fish but if you have garlic juice that's been bottled and sitting on a store shelf, the allicin has broken down into other compounds loooooong ago.

If you want any type of immunity boost out of it, you need to crush a clove and then immediately use it. Nothing you're going to buy will contain allicin anymore.