Kelly Green Psammocora Receding

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by justonwo, Sep 16, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

I've tried moving this coral from an area of high intensity light to an area of lower intensity light. Regardless of what I do, it seems to stay fairly brown in the shadows. Is this "browning out" from high alkalinity?

Also, when I look at the backside of the coral, which probably gets the least amount of light, I notice the coral is receding and much of the skeleton is exposed. Is this a natural consequence of low light or is the coral actually unhealthy? I should mention that white, misshapen thing on the bottom left of the coral is a vermetid snail. The only way I could get rid of it was to glue the opening shut with super glue.

The second photo is under my blue LED flashlight. The first photo is with a standard flashlight. You can see the semi-circular area on the bottom where the coral has begun to recede.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

The coral looks healthy so I would say the recession is from lack of light.

I've found that corals that aren't normally green often show green in lower lighting, and corals that are predominantly green really get green in higher lighting. However I would try keeping it in lower light, but higher than what you have now. If that makes sense.

4. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

That makes sense. It's about mid level in the tank now. I'll move it higher up.

5. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Mid level is okay. Stop moving it. Coral hate being moved. Let it be for a few days to a week.

BTW it is near impossible to make every coral in your tank happy. Esp in a mixed reef as you have. There is such a vast difference in each of the coral we take care of that to get that happy medium for everything is very difficult.

DSC reef and Swisswiss like this.
  6. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Good comments, Va and Civic. Thanks for the advice (as usual).