Keeping two Gobies

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Mr.Ace, Apr 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mr.Ace

Mr.Ace Flamingo Tongue

I got rid of my 3 damsels last week and brought home a Twin Spot Goby. He's very active and keeps my sandbed stirred up very well. But I have a lot of open sand and was thinking about getting another sand sifting type goby. Leaning towards a Yellow Watchman. But the research I have done leads me to believe this may not be a good idea. Does anybody keep two gobies in their tanks. I have a 55, making the decision even harder. At different LFS's I have seen several tanks, usually the larger tanks with the coral display, housing a couple different sand sifting types of gobies.

My Twin Spot just started making his burrow yesterday and it is all the way on the left side of the tank, but I don't know if that make much of a difference.

So, have any of you guys/gals kept two gobies in the same tank with success?

2. Click Here!

3. Reef2Keep

Reef2Keep Purple Spiny Lobster

I had a dragon goby, and then attempted to add a tiger wardi goby...I saw the tiger hiding behind rocks for about 2 days...then never saw him again. So, to answer your question - I did not have success.

4. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

I have an Orange Spot Diamond Goby and Yellow Watchman Goby in the same tank... the YWG was introduced way before the OSG. The two have been getting along just fine, and they get into each others territory all the time... they keep their distance from one another, and the YWG seems to be more annoyed by the OSG than the other way around. I'd say 55G may be ok, but it's hard to tell... you can definitely keep other gobies, that are non-bottom dwelling without any problems... it's the bottom-dwelling gobies that will set up and defend their territories (which to them, may be the entire bottom of the tank!)

5. Mr.Ace

Mr.Ace Flamingo Tongue

Hmm...so you're telling me there's a chance. Yeah, the issue I am having is trying to keep two bottom dwelling gobies. I'm thinking that maybe because it has only been a week I may still be able to get another goby in there before he becomes too territorial.

6. gabbagabbawill

I don't know... it's really tough to say. I think there is a chance they could work together, but you never know... they are at least different enough that they may not bother each other.

7. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

if you are just concerned that he can't handle the load, you might give him time. i have a diamond goby in a 125 and he pretty much covers the entire tank.

8. Click Here!

9. gabbagabbawill

same here... my diamond cleaned up the whole sand bed in my 120 in two days...