Keeping refugium/sump level with display tank?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by frankdontsurf, Sep 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Great thread- interesting thoughts.

I Certainly agree with Marshall also on the pressure differential of the U- tube with side by side tanks the same height.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Actually, the early HOB power filters relied on a U-tube to siphon water into the filter box; the pump then pumped it back into the DT once it passed through the media. Worked perfectly fine for me. Water will level itself between two vessels when they're connected together.

4. frankdontsurf

frankdontsurf Astrea Snail

It seems a HOB U-tube type contraption like eShopps box would work if my tanks were the same height (twin 10 gallons) and the water level was kept a few inches under the bracing.

I actually have decided to build a stand (with the help of my brother in law he drafts and built my sisters stand/wine-rack) and incorporate a display fuge (also 10 gallons). I've already got an 800gph mag drive pump w 7' head and I would just need the PVC for an overflow and also plan to upgrade my LED's since the whole purpose of this is to get rid of some of my live rock (from the DT), have pods in abundance, and be able to keep anything I want in regards to corals/anemones (light upgrade)..