Keeping everything stable the natural way

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Anya, Jan 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anya

Anya Bristle Worm

;D
    thanks for the tip!

2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

No problem, honestly I think every tank under (lets say 40 gallons) should have ATO. I could see a huge difference in my corals when my water was running (low).

Stability is key.

4. Anya

Anya Bristle Worm

sadly I am aware of the problem... I've been fighting those for at least a year now, have 3 in the tank. I use "Stop Aiptasia" by Chem Marine and it definitely keeps them under control but that's about it. I used to think they were getting smaller but not the case. At least they're not spreading though. My plan is to get some pepermint shrimps once the water stays at normal for a while. If that doesn't work I'll try Aiptasia-X, thanks!

5. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

The key is not to have to worry about is not the reliability of your ATO but the size of your freshwater reservoir. I have had mine get stuck on a couple times... but my reservior is small enough that it doesn't overflow my system. Only draw back is that I need to fill it more frequently... but that's worth the peace of mind.

6. Anya

Anya Bristle Worm

Good point. Looking into it...

7. symon_say

symon_say Astrea Snail

First, an ATO is better way to keep you salinity stable, specially in a small tank like yours, a few days of laziness and you might get int trouble.

I have read JBJ are really good, also autotopoff.com, tunze osmolator is suppose to be the best stand alone ATO, but the best you can get is a controller, but is a lot more expensive.

Have your try some peppermint shrimp??

8. Click Here!

9. Anya

Anya Bristle Worm

Yep, got 2 shrimp this Friday, they haven't done much yet: sitting in rock nooks and swaying away. Wonder if there is anything special I need for them in terms of food and conditions.
    I've heard it's hit or miss with them, most likely I'll end up using Aiptaisia-X, that's what my LFS recommended as well.
    For the salinity, I have this idea: what if you put a "constantly-chilled" plate with grooves (or rims) in it, over your tank, so that any evaporated water immediately turns into water via condensation and runs back into your tank? I know that would take some handy work but I have a feeling there are some pretty "handy" people on this site... Wonder if anyone has tried that?

10. symon_say

symon_say Astrea Snail

Or you can just put a glass top and reduce evaporation to the minimum, but even this will allow some water evaporate, another thing is evaporation is a way of the tank to cool down.

IMHO it might be possible to build what you have in mind, but it will take time a money, a lot more money than a simple ATO, if you want to keep it simple and natural build a gravity feed ATO.

1 person likes this.
  11. MrFolgers

MrFolgers Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Yea just get a glass top. My 75 is completely covered because of my eel and I only have to top off about 2-2.5 gallons a WEEK

12. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

if the shrimp you got arent from the caribbean they won't eat aiptasia...only caribbean peppermints will i believe