kcbrad is in the hospital

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Robman, Jul 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

Wow I've been away for awhile and come back to see this. Hope you are feeling better Kacy. Any news on a diagonsis? Not some toxin from the tank I hope. Some toxins can cause elevated heart rate.

Jack

2. Click Here!

3. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

doctors sure have a way of "working" on people sometimes instead of "treating " don't they KC? :) I hope you get better, and that their skills are better than their manners.

4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Well, I just got back from the cardiologist so I thought I would update the thread. Basically they don't really know what's wrong with me (structurally, my heart is healthy), but do think it is POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome). Which means my body cannot adjust to changes in posture, or the change in gravity upon standing. Therefore my nervous system starts freaking out and my heart rate jumps really high in a matter of seconds. That causes a fall in blood pressure and I get dizzy, light headed and tired. Also the blood doesn't go to where it's needed in the body. There is basically nothing known about this condition, what brings it on, or what the cure is.

So, I'm still on beta blockers for the tachycardia (fast heart rate) and PVCs. The beta blockers block your body from releasing adrenaline, which raises the heart rate, so the beta blockers help keep the heart rate lower. I'm supposed to start forcing my body to get used to this POTS. I have to start slow, like slow walking for 10-15 minutes a day and work up from there. This is very hard for me, since I used to work out two hours a day!!

In 3 weeks I have another appointment with the cardiologist and will have a stress test, just to make sure my heart is reacting okay to the exercise.

Anyways, just hoping to one day get my life back. I gotta tell ya, 2010 has NOT been the year of Kacy. Let's hope I can stay out of the hospital.

Thanks again for all the support! You have no idea how much it means to me. <3

Kacy

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  5. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Glad you're working on getting better Kacy :) Just think of the cardio workout you're getting...that's insane. After all this is over and done, your resting heart rate might be like Lance Armstrongs or something (his was in the 30's bpm I believe)

Hang in there :)

1 person likes this.
  6. divott

divott Giant Squid

well , its good that theyve narrowed down whats goin on with you kacy. too bad that youve got to take it easy and behave !! :) heres to hoping that you condition your heart and bosy so youre back to your old self. wishing you the best.

guy

1 person likes this.
  7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Just standing up is hard. I read that a person with POTS uses 5 times more energy to stand than a healthy person. I'm so exhausted after showering I have to lie down. UGH.

8. Click Here!

9. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

sorry to hear about your issue KC. im sure you will get better in no time. But at least you got the patience from being a reefer down. So all you have to do now is do baby steps.
    We are all here for you KC, so im hoping you post your advances and achievements from your recovery here. because YOU WILL do it and you will get your life back to normal.

10. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

well, at least you know your not getting fat anytime soon;)
    if you spent that much engergy.

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Thanks for the encouragement. Just amazing how fast life can change. I guess it's true when they say be thankful for everyday, you don't know when it will change or be gone.

I will post any news and advancements on here. I figure it's a bit interesting since it's such a rare disorder. They think maybe 500,000 people have it.

They also say in young people, 50% make a recovery in TWO to FIVE years. That scares me.

1 person likes this.
  12. hddoutside

hddoutside Fire Shrimp

wat you have to do is ask them if there in training. you ant some pincushion for a trainee if you dont want to be.